This edition: Peru: Coca Growers' Predicament; Kenya Drought: Decision Time; Japan Aging
Original tape date: April 1, 2009.
PERU: A COCA GROWER'S PREDICAMENT
Until the mid-1990s, Peru was the world's number one producer of the coca leaf, the key ingredient in making cocaine. Since then, Peru has had remarkable success convincing coca growers to switch to legal crops, like coffee or palm oil. But the country is still a long way from wiping out the profitable coca leaf.
KENYA DROUGHT: DECISION TIME
Up to 10 million people in Kenya could run short of food in the coming months, according to the government. Widespread drought has already left many parents unable to feed their children. This story is about one family's ordeal.
JAPAN: THE WISDOM YEARS
How many people expect to live beyond the age of 100? Not too many probably. But in Japan so many are hitting that magic number that scientists have begun searching for the secret to life in what they call the Wisdom Years.
- Eric Sawyer, AIDS Activist; Nepal; USA
- Monday, September 17 - 9:00pm
- Tuesday, September 18 - 8:00am
- UN Peacekeeping: Service and Sacrifice
- Monday, September 10 - 9:00pm
- Tuesday, September 11 - 8:00am, 2:00pm
- Wednesday, September 12 - 12:30pm
- Sunday, September 16 - 5:05pm
- Liberia: Legacy of Peace; Palestiniadi
- Monday, September 3 - 9:00pm
- Tuesday, September 4 - 8:00am, 2:00pm
- Wednesday, September 5 - 12:30pm
- Sunday, September 9 - 5:00pm
- 2017: Mali, Seychelles; Japan
- Monday, August 20 - 9:00pm
- Tuesday, August 21 - 8:00am, 2:00pm
- Wednesday, August 22 - 12:30pm
- Sunday, August 26 - 5:00pm