This edition: Dr. Brenda M. Greene, Dir., Center for Black Literature, Medgar Evers College; Herb Boyd, author and journalist, Black Writers ConferenceTweet
Original tape date: March 12, 2012.
First aired: March 19, 2012.
In this edition of African American Legends, Dr. Brown is joined by the Director for the Center of Black Literature at Medgar Evers College/CUNY, Dr. Brenda M. Greene and Author/Journalist Herb Boyd, to discuss the 11th National Black Writer's Conference. They touch on the major themes of the Conference such as the impact of popular culture, politics, migration and the natural environment which all have an effect on the works of Black writers. Also, Dr. Greene discusses the major events of the Conference, the writers and poets who will be either receiving awards or discussing their works, and the workshops that will be made available to young writers and poets who are just starting out.
Herb Boyd Author/Journalist
Dr. Roscoe C. Brown, Jr. Director, Urban Education Policy Center, CUNY Graduate Center.
Dr. Brenda Greene Director, Center for Black Literature, Medgar Evers College/CUNY
- Jae Gardner, Founder and CEO, The Ivy Key, "The Key to Success"
- Thursday, March 22 - 4:30am
- Thursday, March 29 - 4:30am
- Joetta Clark Diggs, Olympian and President, Joetta Sports & Beyond, "The Olympian"
- Thursday, April 5 - 4:30am
- Thursday, April 12 - 4:30am
- Lorna Aaron, Aspen Children Corner, "The Children Are Our Future"
- Thursday, March 8 - 4:30am
- Thursday, March 15 - 4:30am
- Stephanie Palmer, Executive Director, NYC Mission Society; Maria Orengo, Associate Executive Director, Planning, NYC Mission Society, "Giving Our Youth Hope."
- Thursday, February 22 - 4:30am
- Thursday, March 1 - 4:30am
- Yvette L. Campbell, Pres. & CEO, The Harlem School of the Arts, "The Joy of the Arts"
- Thursday, February 15 - 4:30am