This edition: February 2014Tweet
Original tape date: February 10, 2014.
First aired: February 14, 2014.
The assistant curator Naima Keith takes us on a tour of the groundbreaking exhibit “The Shadows Took Place” at The Studio Museum in Harlem about Afro-futurism and contemporary art. Afro-futurism explores race through the lens of science fiction, fantasy and magic realism. In the story, we look at works from artists around the world grappling with Afro-futurism through photography, painting, drawing, sculpture and video. We also look at the influences on Afro-futurism from science fiction writers such as Octavia Butler and Samuel Delany, sonic innovator Sun Ra, futuristic movies like Star Wars, District 9 & The Wiz and the music videos of Parliament Funkadelic and Labelle.
Magalie Laguerre-Wilkinson takes you on a culinary tour of New York City restaurants in museums, where you don’t typically expect top-notch food.
Pat Collins interviews Xan Cassavetes, daughter of American independent auteur John Cassavetes and actress Gena Rowlands, and director/writer of “Kiss of the Damned”
Carol Anne Riddell brings you a story about love and compassion that you might not expect -- no chocolates or roses here. Meet Helen Dillon, an 84 year old documentary film maker, who spends her free time volunteering with prisoners, bringing warmth to their hearts and her own.
Donna Hanover gives us an inside look at world-renowned chocolatier Jacques Torres and how he crafts his delicious masterpieces.
Saul Bolton Executive Chef, Saul Restaurant
Xan Cassavetes Director/Writer, Kiss of the Damned
Helen Dillon Documentary Filmmaker
Hugue Dufour Owner/Executive Chef, M. Wells Dinette
Dr. Jeff Gardere Psychologist, Adjunct Clinical Professor, Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine
Naima J. Keith Assistant Curator, Studio Museum in Harlem
Dino Lavorini General Manager, The Modern
Aidan O'Neal Chef de Cuisine, M. Wells Dinette
Jacques Torres Master Pastry Chef, Chocolatier, Jacques Torres Chocolate
Saul Restaurant in BrooklynCo-Chef, Michael Tyler, prepares a mackerel dish at Saul Restaurant in the Brooklyn Museum.
The Modern at MoMAMoMA General Manager, Dino Lavorini, talks about the design of the in museum restaurant.
- December 2017
- Tuesday, December 12 - 8:00pm
- Wednesday, December 13 - 8:00am, 2:00pm
- Saturday, December 16 - 6:00pm
- Sunday, December 17 - 8:30am
- Tuesday, December 26 - 8:00pm
- Wednesday, December 27 - 8:00am, 2:00pm
- Saturday, December 30 - 6:00pm
- Sunday, December 31 - 8:30am
- Season 5/Episode #5
- Tuesday, January 9 - 8:00pm
- Tang Shipwreck in New York
- Monday, December 4 - 6:50am, 12:50pm, 10:50pm
- Saturday, December 9 - 4:50pm
- Chinese Art of the Qin and Han Dynasties in New York
- Saturday, November 18 - 2:50am
- November 2017
- Tuesday, November 14 - 8:00pm
- Wednesday, November 15 - 8:00am, 2:00pm
- Saturday, November 18 - 6:00pm
- Sunday, November 19 - 8:30am
- Tuesday, November 28 - 8:00pm
- Wednesday, November 29 - 8:00am, 2:00pm
- Saturday, December 2 - 6:00pm
- Sunday, December 3 - 8:30am
- Cinnabar: The Chinese Art of Carved Lacquer
- Sunday, November 12 - 6:50am