This edition: March 2014Tweet
Original tape date: March 10, 2014.
First aired: March 14, 2014.
We talk with some of the top graffiti artists featured in The Museum of the City of New York's new exhibit -- "City As Canvas: Graffiti Art from the Martin Wong Collection" -- about how graffiti began as an illicit activity and evolved into an art form with the help of people like Martin Wong, growing into a worldwide phenomenon.
A studio visit with NYC-based Dutch artist Hans Broek, a 2014 finalist to paint the royal portrait of the brand new King of the Netherlands. Broek tells correspondent Lisa Beth Kovetz about the thoughts and emotions that go through his head as the brush hits the canvas.
Pat Collins goes behind the scenes of the hit musical, Newsies. She visits one of their dance studios to speak with Christopher Gattelli, the show’s dance choreographer to talk about his Tony award winning choreography.
Donna Hanover sits down to talk with Charles Busch, famed playwright and female impersonator, and his longtime friend and co-star, Julie Halston, on the set of their latest collaboration, The Tribute Artist.
Brooklyn-born comedian Kerry Coddett created a firestorm when she wrote several articles critical of Saturday Night Live’s lack of diversity. It got her international attention -- and an audition with SNL’s executive producer Lorne Michaels.
Charlie Ahearn Director, “Wild Style”
Hans Broek Painter
Charles Busch Playwright/Actor, “The Tribute Artist”
Kerry Coddett Comedian
Sean Corcoran Curator of Prints and Photographs, Museum of the City of New York
Ben Fankhauser Actor ‘Davey’, “Newsies”
John Michael Fiumara Actor, “Newsies”
Hogan Fulton Actor, “Newsies”
Futura 2000 Artist
Christopher Gattelli Choreographer, “Newsies”
Julie Halston Actress, “The Tribute Artist”
Lady Pink Artist
Daniel Quadrino Actor, “Newsies”
Lee Quiñones Artist
Jack Scott Actor, “Newsies”
Comedian Kerry CoddettKerry Coddett tells how her passion for fashion led to freelance work for a famous rapper.
Graffiti Artist: SharpGraffiti artist Sharp, talks about how much time went into actively painting trains.
Graffiti Artist: Futura 2000Futura 2000, talks about how he got to know graffiti art collector Martin Wong.
Filmmaker: Charlie AhearnWild Style filmmaker Charlie Ahearn, talks about Martin Wong and his impact on graffiti.
- Chinese Art of the Qin and Han Dynasties in New York
- Saturday, November 18 - 2:50am
- November 2017
- Tuesday, November 14 - 8:00pm
- Wednesday, November 15 - 8:00am, 2:00pm
- Saturday, November 18 - 6:00pm
- Sunday, November 19 - 8:30am
- Cinnabar: The Chinese Art of Carved Lacquer
- Friday, October 27 - 7:50am, 1:50pm
- Saturday, October 28 - 11:50pm
- Sunday, October 29 - 11:50pm
- Monday, October 30 - 5:45am
- Saturday, November 4 - 3:20am
- Sunday, November 12 - 6:50am
- October 2017
- Tuesday, October 24 - 8:00pm
- Wednesday, October 25 - 8:00am, 2:00pm
- Saturday, October 28 - 6:00pm
- Sunday, October 29 - 8:30am
- Tuesday, October 31 - 8:00pm
- Wednesday, November 1 - 8:00am, 2:00pm
- Saturday, November 4 - 6:00pm
- Sunday, November 5 - 8:30am