This edition: August 2014Tweet
Original tape date: July 17, 2014.
First aired: August 8, 2014.
Magalie Laguerre-Wilkinson hosts this month's Arts in the City from Wave Hill, a public garden and cultural center in the Bronx. This month we look at four of our favorite stories from Arts in the City’s first season.
From our March episode, we talk with some of the top graffiti artists featured in The Museum of the City of New York's new exhibit -- "City As Canvas: Graffiti Art from the Martin Wong Collection" -- about how graffiti began as an illicit activity and evolved into an art form with the help of people like Martin Wong, growing into a worldwide phenomenon. Artists Lee Quiñones or Lee as he is known, Futura 2000, Daze, Sharp and Lady Pink tell this story with Charlie Ahearn, the director of the iconic Hip-Hop film "Wild Style" and Sean Corcoran, the exhibit's curator. The story is filled with the photos, video and vibrant graffiti artwork from the exhibit -- with the artwork coming from artist Martin Wong who mentored and collected their work in the 70's and 80's.
From our episode in April, we take a peek inside the Steinway & Sons Piano factory in Long Island City, Queens. Correspondent Andrew Falzon finds that just like the Steinway pianos, many of the artisans who handcraft the pianos can also trace their roots back to Queens.
Tina Beth Piña sits down with modern Renaissance man John Forté to hear his amazing success story in this story from our show in September.
Taken from February, this story shows Magalie Laguerre-Wilkinson taking us on a culinary tour of New York City restaurants in museums, where one doesn’t typically expect top-notch food.
Charlie Ahearn Director, “Wild Style”
Saul Bolton Executive Chef, Saul Restaurant
Wally Boot Final Tone Inspector, Steinway & Sons
Sean Corcoran Curator of Prints and Photographs, Museum of the City of New York
Hugue Dufour Owner/Executive Chef, M. Wells Dinette
John Forte Filmmaker, Producer, Writer, Musician, City College of New York
Futura 2000 Artist
Dino Lavorini General Manager, The Modern
Aidan O'Neal Chef de Cuisine, M. Wells Dinette
Lady Pink Artist
Lee Quiñones Artist
Bill Youse Director of Special Services & Special Projects, Steinway & Sons
- Chinese Art of the Qin and Han Dynasties in New York
- Saturday, November 18 - 2:50am
- November 2017
- Tuesday, November 14 - 8:00pm
- Wednesday, November 15 - 8:00am, 2:00pm
- Saturday, November 18 - 6:00pm
- Sunday, November 19 - 8:30am
- Cinnabar: The Chinese Art of Carved Lacquer
- Friday, October 27 - 7:50am, 1:50pm
- Saturday, October 28 - 11:50pm
- Sunday, October 29 - 11:50pm
- Monday, October 30 - 5:45am
- Saturday, November 4 - 3:20am
- Sunday, November 12 - 6:50am
- October 2017
- Tuesday, October 24 - 8:00pm
- Wednesday, October 25 - 8:00am, 2:00pm
- Saturday, October 28 - 6:00pm
- Sunday, October 29 - 8:30am
- Tuesday, October 31 - 8:00pm
- Wednesday, November 1 - 8:00am, 2:00pm
- Saturday, November 4 - 6:00pm
- Sunday, November 5 - 8:30am