This edition: October 2015: Ellis Island SpecialTweet
Original tape date: September 11, 2015.
First aired: October 2, 2015.
Correspondent Kyung Yoon looks at the new “Peopling of America” Exhibit in Ellis Island, which recently opened in May 2015. We take a close look at how people can trace their ancestors' and families' history inside the new interactive museum.
Thousands of immigrants passed through the registry room at Ellis Island but little is known about the Filipinos who arrived in the early 1900’s. Many came as U.S. sponsored students and attended colleges like Columbia University and New York University. Host Ernabel Demillo traces their path to America.
Undocumented students face greater hurdles in getting a college education. Correspondent Paul Lin has an in-depth report on how these “Dreamers" achieved their American dream and the types of opportunities that are available today.
There’s only a handful of Asian American astronauts in the history of NASA, Dr. Leroy Chiao is one of them. He flew 3 shuttle flights and was the commander of Expedition 10, where he lived on board the International Space Station from Oct 13, 2004 to April 24, 2005. Correspondent Minnie Roh gets up close and personal with his inspirational story.
Dolores Alic Filipino American National Historical Society
Dr. Barbara Blake-Campbell Associate Professor, Nursing, Queensborough Community College
Stephen A. Briganti President & CEO, Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation
Leroy Chiao Former NASA Astronaut and International Space Station Commander, NASA
Grace Couch RN B.S. Candidate In Nursing, Queensborough Community College
Kevin Kang Program Director, United We Dream
Kevin Nadal, Ph.D. Author, “Filipinos In New York City”
Joey Tabaco Filipino American National Historical Society
Allan J. Wernick Director, CUNY Citizenship Now!
- April 2019
- Tuesday, April 2 - 8:00pm
- Wednesday, April 3 - 8:00am, 2:00pm
- Saturday, April 6 - 6:00pm
- Sunday, April 7 - 8:30am
- Tuesday, April 16 - 8:00pm
- Wednesday, April 17 - 8:00am, 2:00pm
- Saturday, April 20 - 6:00pm
- Sunday, April 21 - 8:30am
- March 2019
- Tuesday, March 5 - 8:00pm
- Wednesday, March 6 - 8:00am, 2:00pm
- Saturday, March 9 - 6:00pm
- Sunday, March 10 - 8:30am
- Tuesday, March 19 - 8:00pm
- Wednesday, March 20 - 8:00am, 2:00pm
- Saturday, March 23 - 6:00pm
- Sunday, March 24 - 8:30am
- February 2019
- Saturday, February 23 - 6:00pm
- Sunday, February 24 - 8:30am