This edition: "Next to Normal": The Road to BroadwayTweet
Original tape date: November 20, 2009.
The creative team behind the hit musical NEXT TO NORMAL-- Director Michael Greif, Composer Tom Kitt, Producer David Stone and Book Writer/Lyricist Brian Yorkey - discuss the unique road the show took to Broadway beginning with its start at the BMI Workshop; the origin of the show's subject matter and the challenges of getting acceptance for it; the reasons behind a title change and what that represented for the creative process; why they took the unusual step of going from off-Broadway to out of town before Broadway; what influences the press and audiences had after the off-Broadway opening in their decision process; why some songs were dropped, others changed and the reasons behind the addition of new material; and 4 songs are performed in studio that illustrate the changes in the various stages of the production.
Theodore Chapin Moderator
Michael Greif Artistic Director
Tom Kitt Composer
David Stone Producer
Brian Yorkey Bookwriter/Lyricist
- Consolation and Provocation: Playwrights 2009
- Tuesday, January 22 - 4:30am
- New Writers, New Musicals: The 2009 Jonathan Larson® Grants
- Tuesday, January 29 - 4:30am
- Tuesday, February 5 - 4:30am
- Crafting Worlds: Theatrical Design
- Tuesday, February 12 - 4:30am