This edition: Composer/Lyricist (Fall 2000)Tweet
Original tape date: November 1, 2000.
Oscar, Emmy and five-time American Theatre Wing Tony Award winner, Peter Stone moderates this discussion with lyricist Susan Birkenhead ("Triumph of Love", "Jelly's Last Jam"), composers/lyricists John Kander and Fred Ebb ("Cabaret", "Chicago", "Woman of the Year", "Steel Pier", "The Act"), composer Marvin Hamlisch ("A Chorus Line", "They're Playing Our Song", "The Sweet Smell of Success"), and award-winning country songwriter/composer Don Schlitz ("The Adventures of Tom Sawyer"). The panel talks about the process of musical songwriting, collaboration with other writers, writing songs in conjunction with the book, learning from influential composers, through-composed shows compared to book musicals, pros and cons of workshops, their backgrounds, and their first shows.
- First and Loudest: The Marketing of Broadway
- Tuesday, June 19 - 4:30am
- Fluidity and Change: Directors 2009
- Tuesday, June 12 - 4:30am
- At Work and Play: Lead Actors 2009
- Tuesday, June 5 - 4:30am
- For the Record: Inside Cast Albums
- Tuesday, May 29 - 4:30am
- Crafting Worlds: Theatrical Design
- Tuesday, May 22 - 4:30am