This edition: The Importance of LibrariesTweet
Original tape date: June 2, 2014.
First aired: June 11, 2014.
First, recent data says rape in prison is increasing. There is a law against it but seven governors won't implement it. To discuss, Cynthia Soohoo, director of the International Women's Human Rights Clinic, Chris Daley, executive director of Just Detention International and Alex Friedman, managing editor of Prison Legal News.
Then, the military is tasked at allowing women to serve in front line ground combat by 2016. But the Marines is challenged in creating physicality standards for both genders. With us to give some insight from her own experience and from an academic study, Connie Brownson, a PhD candidate at Texas State University.
Next, a new video making rounds on the net shows that more people have been using libraries as hours and staffing have reduced. The film, "Libraries Now - A Day in the Life - argues that libraries are more than just taking out books.
Last, there is a side of Ellis Island - the immigrant port of past - that most people don't see on trips to the museum there. The buildings are being restored but photographer Paul Margolis takes us on a tour of the unrestored "Hidden Ellis Island."
Connie Brownson Former U.S. Marine/Author, “Lady Leathernecks”
Chris Daley Deputy Executive Director, Just Detention International
Julie Dressner Filmmaker, Libraries Now - A Day in the Life
Alex Friedman Managing Editor, Prison Legal News
Paul Margolis Photographer, “Hidden Ellis Island”
Cynthia SooHoo Director, Intl. Women's Human Rights Clinic, CUNY Law
Christian Zabriskie Executive Director, Urban Libraries Unite
- No upcoming shows on the schedule
- Return to Sender: Ralph Nader's Letters to the White House
- Wednesday, September 16 - 7:00am, 1:00pm, 7:30pm
- Thursday, September 17 - 2:00am
- Saturday, September 19 - 10:00am
- Sunday, September 20 - 11:00pm
- Wednesday, September 23 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- Metadata in the Age of Terror
- Wednesday, September 9 - 7:00am, 1:00pm, 7:30pm
- Thursday, September 10 - 2:00am
- Saturday, September 12 - 10:00am
- Sunday, September 13 - 11:00pm
- London is Changing; White Privilege; CUNY; Cast in India
- Sunday, September 6 - 11:00pm