This edition: January 2014 (In French with English Subtitles)
Original tape date: January 29, 2015.
First aired: January 30, 2014.
The French Quarter
It was love at first listening. During World War I the jazz band of African-American composer-arranger James Reese seduced the French public with their new music. Soon after French players tried their own hand at the swinging sound. The transatlantic exchange about jazz continues today. It will soon be one hundred years old. CANAPE takes a look and listen at some young French musicians who have come to New York to show their chops at the festival called French Quarter.
On December 17, 2010 Mohamed Bouazizi set himself on fire in Sidi Bouzid and sparked a revolt that brought down dictator Ben Ali. Tunisian blogger and journalist Henda Chennaoui reported on the revolution. Now, 3 years later, Henda goes back to the center of Tunisia. First to Sidi Bouzid for the 3rd anniversary. Then to Kasserine and mount Chambi where she meets citizen journalist Rabbii Gharsalli. As press coverage talks about democratic transition, the new constitution and the rise of terrorism, the people struggle to live.
Where does rap meet Congolese soukous? Where does French electro-pop mix with the Beirut underground? And where does reggae echo in the sounds of desert music from the Sahara? The answers can all be found at the annual Globalfest at Webster Hall in New York. It’s a place where musical frontiers require no visa. “Laissez-passer” is the motto. CANAPE catches three performers from the French speaking world: Baloji from the Congo, Yasmine Hamdan from Lebanon, and Noura Mint Seymali from Mauritania.
Henda Chennaoui Blogger
Rabii Gharsalli Citizen Journalist
Yasmine Hamdan Singer
Nouri Mint Seymali Singer
- December 2013 (In French with English Subtitles)
- Thursday, September 28 - 4:00am
- January 2014 (In French with English Subtitles)
- Thursday, October 5 - 4:00am
- February 2014 (In French with English subtitles)
- Thursday, October 12 - 4:00am
- March 2014 (In French with English subtitles)
- Thursday, October 19 - 4:00am
- November 2013 (In French with English Subtitles)
- Thursday, September 21 - 4:00am
- October 2013 (In French with English subtitles)
- Thursday, September 14 - 4:00am
- September 2013 (in French with English Subtitles)
- Thursday, September 7 - 4:00am
- August 2016 (in French with English subtitles)
- Thursday, August 24 - 10:30am, 4:30pm, 10:30pm
- Saturday, August 26 - 2:00pm
- Thursday, August 31 - 10:30am, 4:30pm, 10:30pm
- Saturday, September 2 - 2:00pm