This edition: Ambassador Richard Murphy, former Ambassador to Saudi Arabia, Syria, the Phillipines, Mauritania and Senior Fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations, (Pt. 1 of 2)Tweet
Original tape date: October 10, 2006.
This episode features Ambassador Richard W. Murphy, who returns to City Talk to discuss the latest developments in the Middle East. Through out this first half of the two-part special Doug and Ambassador Murphy discuss Secretary of State Rice's recent visit to the Middle East, the dilemma the U.S. faces now that Hamas has won the Palestinian parliamentary elections and the lack of a timeline for the withdrawal of American troops in Iraq. Ambassador Murphy has followed Near Eastern developments for over 40 years, 34 of which were spent as a career foreign service officer. He has received the President's Distinguished Service Award three times and the State Department's Superior Honor Award twice: In 1985 he was named Career Ambassador, a title held by only five serving officers at any given time. Retiring from government service in 1989, Mr. Murphy joined the Council on Foreign Relations in New York as the Hasib J. Sabbagh Senior Fellow for the Middle East and has continued to visit that region several times a year. Ambassador Murphy is a frequent, and always fascinating guest on City Talk.
Richard W. Murphy Former U.S. Ambassador to Syria
Prof. Douglas Muzzio Political Analyst, CUNY TV, Professor, School of Public Affairs, Baruch College/CUNY
- James D. Zirin, Author: "The Mother Court"
- Tuesday, July 24 - 2:30am
- "New York's New Edge" authors David Halle & Elisabeth Tiso
- Tuesday, July 31 - 2:30am
- Thomas P. DiNapoli: New York State Comptroller
- Tuesday, August 7 - 2:30am
- Prof. Ron Daniels - Selma: Historical Event and the Movie
- Tuesday, August 14 - 2:30am
- Robert Paaswell: CCNY Institute of Urban Systems
- Tuesday, July 17 - 2:30am
- Ed Rollins-Sr. Presidential Fellow, Hofstra Univ.
- Tuesday, July 10 - 2:30am
- Bill Rudin, chairman, Association for a Better New York
- Wednesday, July 4 - 9:00am, 3:30pm, 10:30pm
- Thursday, July 5 - 9:00pm
- Heather Quinlan: Documentary Filmmaker/The 86 Mets
- Tuesday, July 3 - 2:30am
- Chancellor James B. Milliken
- Tuesday, June 26 - 2:30am
- Ian Vandewalker
- Tuesday, June 19 - 2:30am