This edition: Ritual and ReligionTweet
Original tape date: October 28, 2013.
First aired: October 30, 2013.
On this edition of Independent Sources, we mark the Day of the Dead celebration with two separate discussions about why many Mexican and Jewish families in the US repatriate their deceased relatives. We learn about the traditional breads that are offered during the celebration and we see how one New York artist is crossing the Day of the Dead with the civil rights movement.
Diógenes Ballester Artist
Mario Cuevas Zamora Consul for Legal Protection, Consulate General of Mexico in New York
Erin Gigoux Funeral Director/Owner, Las Rosas Funeral Home
Claudio Lomnitz Professor of Anthropology, Columbia University
Miguel Lopez Owner, Don Paco Lopez Panaderia
Danny Saadon Vice President/General Manager, El Al Israel Airlines
- No upcoming shows on the schedule
- Rumble in Chinatown
- Saturday, September 29 - 8:30am
- Tuesday, October 2 - 4:30pm
- Thursday, October 4 - 7:00am, 1:00pm, 11:00pm
- Saturday, October 6 - 8:30am
- Tuesday, October 9 - 4:30pm
- Thursday, October 11 - 7:00am, 1:00pm, 11:00pm
- Caribbean Disunity
- Tuesday, September 25 - 4:30pm
- Thursday, September 27 - 7:00am, 1:00pm, 11:00pm