This edition: Polishing the ParadeTweet
Original tape date: June 2, 2014.
First aired: June 4, 2014.
On this edition of Independent Sources hosted by Garry Pierre-Pierre, we talk to a new board member of the National Puerto Rican Day Parade about how they’re trying to change the event’s image after the last board was disbanded under a shroud of controversy. Sarah Pizon speaks to Sonia Manzano, known for her role as Maria on Sesame Street, and Aurora Anaya-Cerda, the founder of the independent bookstore La Casa Azul, about a program that hopes to promote literacy and a sense on community in East Harlem. Then we see how African-inspired fashion is adding some flare to the streets of Brooklyn.
Aurora Anaya-Cerda Owner, La Casa Azul Bookstore
Sonia Manzano Author, “The Revolution of Evelyn Serrano”
Orlando Plaza Board Member, National Puerto Rican Day Parade, Inc.
- No upcoming shows on the schedule
- Rumble in Chinatown
- Saturday, September 29 - 8:30am
- Tuesday, October 2 - 4:30pm
- Thursday, October 4 - 7:00am, 1:00pm, 11:00pm
- Saturday, October 6 - 8:30am
- Tuesday, October 9 - 4:30pm
- Thursday, October 11 - 7:00am, 1:00pm, 11:00pm
- Caribbean Disunity
- Tuesday, September 18 - 4:30pm
- Thursday, September 20 - 7:00am, 1:00pm, 11:00pm
- Saturday, September 22 - 8:30am
- Tuesday, September 25 - 4:30pm
- Thursday, September 27 - 7:00am, 1:00pm, 11:00pm