This edition: Diversity in ComicsTweet
Original tape date: October 27, 2014.
First aired: October 29, 2014.
On this special edition of Independent Sources hosted by Zyphus Lebrun, we explore how the comic book sector’s increasing influence is leading to a call for greater racial and gender diversity in the pages of comics as well as amongst the people who make them. We feature interviews with Marvel editor, Sana Amanat, the co-creator of the popular Muslim American super heroine, “Ms. Marvel” and the inker/artist Dexter Vines, who has worked on Superman titles for DC and X-Men for Marvel. We also profile a Surinamese immigrant who wants to start her own custom costume company for curvy women.
Sana Amanat Editor, Co-Creator, Marvel Comics, “Ms. Marvel”
David Brothers Content Manager, Image Comics
Morgan Dubin Marketing Advocate, Abrams Comic Arts
Jonathan Gray Assistant Professor of English, John Jay College of Criminal Justice/CUNY
Heidi MacDonald Editor-in-Chief, ComicsBeat.com
Dexter Vines Inker/Artist
- No upcoming shows on the schedule
- Rumble in Chinatown
- Saturday, September 29 - 8:30am
- Tuesday, October 2 - 4:30pm
- Thursday, October 4 - 7:00am, 1:00pm, 11:00pm
- Saturday, October 6 - 8:30am
- Tuesday, October 9 - 4:30pm
- Thursday, October 11 - 7:00am, 1:00pm, 11:00pm
- Caribbean Disunity
- Tuesday, September 18 - 4:30pm
- Thursday, September 20 - 7:00am, 1:00pm, 11:00pm
- Saturday, September 22 - 8:30am
- Tuesday, September 25 - 4:30pm
- Thursday, September 27 - 7:00am, 1:00pm, 11:00pm