This edition: 2015 Earth Day SpecialTweet
Original tape date: April 20, 2015.
First aired: April 22, 2015.
On this special Earth Day edition of Independent Sources hosted by Sarah Pizon we take a look at some of the environmental issues plaguing the South Bronx, North Brooklyn and South East Queens. Mychal Johnson of the activist group, South Bronx Unite, talks about their efforts to keep Fresh Direct out of their community because of the environmental impact of the company's trucks in the neighborhood. Environmental reporter, Sarah Crean sheds some light on the debate over waste equity and the effort to lower the amount of the city’s garbage being transported through traditionally poorer communities. Then we learn about the Air Beam project, an initiative that puts portable air monitors in the hands of students and activists in an effort to improve the city’s air quality. Finally we see how one artist is enlisting the aid of others to raise awareness about the world’s water crisis through a series of paintings on the city’s water tanks.
Sarah Crean Managing Editor, The New York Environment Report
Michael Heimbinder Executive Director, Habitat Map
Mychal Johnson Co-Founder, South Bronx Unite
Mitra Khorasheh Curator/Project Manager, New Water Culture
- No upcoming shows on the schedule
- Rumble in Chinatown
- Saturday, September 29 - 8:30am
- Tuesday, October 2 - 4:30pm
- Thursday, October 4 - 7:00am, 1:00pm, 11:00pm
- Saturday, October 6 - 8:30am
- Tuesday, October 9 - 4:30pm
- Thursday, October 11 - 7:00am, 1:00pm, 11:00pm
- Caribbean Disunity
- Tuesday, September 18 - 4:30pm
- Thursday, September 20 - 7:00am, 1:00pm, 11:00pm
- Saturday, September 22 - 8:30am
- Tuesday, September 25 - 4:30pm
- Thursday, September 27 - 7:00am, 1:00pm, 11:00pm