This edition: United By FlavorsTweet
Original tape date: December 12, 2016.
First aired: December 21, 2016.
On this edition of Independent Sources, hosted by Garry Pierre-Pierre, we highlight a new book that explores the United States’ ethnically diverse history by delving into the origins of eight essential ingredients. We learn about a group of costumed performers who’re instilling more cultural pride in young African Americans by teaching them about the history of African royalty like Cleopatra and King Tut. Then we visit a distillery in the South Bronx that’s making legal Puerto Rican moonshine.
Ekiuwa Asemota Creative Director, Your Queens
Jodan Gilles Performer “King Tut”, Your Queens
Sarah Lohman Author, “Eight Flavors: The Untold Story of American Cuisine”
Manuel Muñoz Distiller/Bartender, Port Morris Distillery
William Valentín Co-Owner, Port Morris Distillery
- No upcoming shows on the schedule
- Rumble in Chinatown
- Saturday, September 29 - 8:30am
- Tuesday, October 2 - 4:30pm
- Thursday, October 4 - 7:00am, 1:00pm, 11:00pm
- Saturday, October 6 - 8:30am
- Tuesday, October 9 - 4:30pm
- Thursday, October 11 - 7:00am, 1:00pm, 11:00pm
- Caribbean Disunity
- Thursday, September 20 - 7:00am, 1:00pm, 11:00pm
- Saturday, September 22 - 8:30am
- Tuesday, September 25 - 4:30pm
- Thursday, September 27 - 7:00am, 1:00pm, 11:00pm