This edition: Italian Immigrants and Whiteness/Words of LoveTweet
Original tape date: February 25, 2015.
First aired: February 25, 2015.
In honor of Black History Month, “Italics” looks at the role of the press – both radical and mainstream - in the assimilation of Italian immigrants to the dominant white culture from 1886 through 1920 and its relevance in thinking about racism in our society today, and amidst recent outpourings of the masses into the streets for #BlackLivesMatter. Scholar Peter Vellon (Queens College/CUNY) explores this in his new book, “A Great Conspiracy Against Our Race: Italian Immigrant Newspapers and the Construction of Whiteness in the Early 20th Century.“ “Italics” catches up with Mr. Vellon and Dr. Joseph Sciorra at the Calandra Institute. Professor Margherita talks of love, in it’s various forms, with February’s Italian words of the month.
Laura Caparrotti Artistic Director/”Professor Margherita”, Kairos Italy Theater
Dr. Joseph Sciorra, Ph.D. Director of Academic and Cultural Programs, Calandra Institute, Queens College, CUNY
Cav. Anthony Julian Tamburri, PhD. Dean & Executive Director, The John D. Calandra Italian American Institute
Peter Vellon Author, “A Great Conspiracy Against Our Race: Italian Immigrant Newspapers and the Construction of Whiteness in the Early 20th Century”
- January 2017: Photographer Tony Vaccaro | NOIAW Honors Wise Women
- Tuesday, November 28 - 9:30pm
- Wednesday, November 29 - 10:30am, 3:30pm
- Saturday, December 2 - 7:30am
- Sunday, December 3 - 6:30pm
- Natalie Abruzzo, "The Sixty-Six Percent" Documentary | Garibaldi-Meucci Museum Honors
- Tuesday, October 31 - 9:30pm
- Wednesday, November 1 - 10:30am, 3:30pm
- Saturday, November 4 - 7:30am
- Sunday, November 5 - 6:30pm