This edition: Italian American Genealogy/"Black Souls" FilmTweet
Original tape date: May 27, 2015.
First aired: May 27, 2015.
ITALICS visits personal histories of Italian Americans as well as the conditions all too real in present-day Italy. Genealogist Mary Tedesco of Origins Italy joins us in our studio to unlock the door to knowing from whence we came. Director Francesco Munzi talks about his latest film, “Black Souls (Anime nere),” in which a Calabrian family struggles with its place in society - grappling between retaining its power via the ‘ndrangheta and breaking free from archaically violent ways in a society that doesn’t leave much choice.
Lucia Grillo Producer & Correspondent, "ITALICS" Calandra Institute, Queens College, CUNY
Francesco Munzi Director, “Black Souls (Anime nere)” film
Cav. Anthony Julian Tamburri, PhD. Dean & Executive Director, The John D. Calandra Italian American Institute
Mary Tedesco Genealogist/Host "Genealogy Road Show" (PBS), Origins Italy/"Genealogy Road Show" (PBS)
- January 2017: Photographer Tony Vaccaro | NOIAW Honors Wise Women
- Tuesday, November 28 - 9:30pm
- Wednesday, November 29 - 10:30am, 3:30pm
- Saturday, December 2 - 7:30am
- Sunday, December 3 - 6:30pm
- Natalie Abruzzo, "The Sixty-Six Percent" Documentary | Garibaldi-Meucci Museum Honors
- Tuesday, October 31 - 9:30pm
- Wednesday, November 1 - 10:30am, 3:30pm
- Saturday, November 4 - 7:30am
- Sunday, November 5 - 6:30pm