Latest edition: After Maria: Self Determination for Puerto RicoTweet
Original tape date: March 22, 2018.
First aired: April 13, 2018.
What's in store for Puerto Rico's future? More disaster capitalism, or solidarity economics?
While the lights have come back on for most, 8% of electrical customers are still waiting. The conversation in other media seems to be shifting to the social crises that are emerging -- but for many basic supplies, services and medical care are still nowhere in sight. And let’s not forget that some people are pushing to privatize everything from education to the power grid.
In the massive gaps left by our official response, individuals, communities, and organizations are stepping in. A few people who are stepping up join us: Edna Benitez and Damaris Whittaker are from the Middle Collegiate and Fort Washington Collegiate Churches respectively. They’ve been organizing trips to help bring essential supplies to Puerto Rico since the hurricane it. Amy Tidd is with the National Nurses United and has been to Puerto Rico with 2 delegations since Maria. She’s joining us from Bangor, Maine.
Plus, San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz on what she calls the generous and reaffirming show of support from Americans that have shown support for Puerto Rico.
Edna Benitez Deacon, Middle Collegiate Church
Carmen Yulin Cruz Mayor of San Juan
Rev. Damaris Whittaker Reverend, Fort Washington Church NYC
- Who's the Public in Public Art?
- Friday, April 27 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, April 28 - 2:00pm
- Sunday, April 29 - 10:30am
- Friday, May 4 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, May 5 - 2:00pm
- Sunday, May 6 - 10:30am
- Friday, May 11 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, May 12 - 2:00pm
- Sunday, May 13 - 10:30am
- Friday, May 18 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, May 19 - 2:00pm
- Sunday, May 20 - 10:30am
- Friday, May 25 - 8:30pm
- Workers, Wildcats, and New Models for Labor Organizing
- Friday, April 20 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, April 21 - 2:00pm
- Sunday, April 22 - 10:30am
- After Maria: Self Determination for Puerto Rico
- Friday, April 13 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, April 14 - 2:00pm
- Sunday, April 15 - 10:30am
- Monopoly Capitalism: At the Breaking Point?
- Friday, April 6 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, April 7 - 2:00pm
- Sunday, April 8 - 10:30am
- U.S. Democrats & Europe's Left - Connecting Across Borders
- Friday, March 30 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, March 31 - 2:00pm
- Sunday, April 1 - 10:30am