This edition: After Maria: Self Determination for Puerto RicoTweet
Original tape date: March 22, 2018.
First aired: April 13, 2018.
What's in store for Puerto Rico's future? More disaster capitalism, or solidarity economics?
While the lights have come back on for most, 8% of electrical customers are still waiting. The conversation in other media seems to be shifting to the social crises that are emerging -- but for many basic supplies, services and medical care are still nowhere in sight. And let’s not forget that some people are pushing to privatize everything from education to the power grid.
In the massive gaps left by our official response, individuals, communities, and organizations are stepping in. A few people who are stepping up join us: Edna Benitez and Damaris Whittaker are from the Middle Collegiate and Fort Washington Collegiate Churches respectively. They’ve been organizing trips to help bring essential supplies to Puerto Rico since the hurricane it. Amy Tidd is with the National Nurses United and has been to Puerto Rico with 2 delegations since Maria. She’s joining us from Bangor, Maine.
Plus, San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz on what she calls the generous and reaffirming show of support from Americans that have shown support for Puerto Rico.
Edna Benitez Deacon, Middle Collegiate Church
Carmen Yulin Cruz Mayor of San Juan
Rev. Damaris Whittaker Reverend, Fort Washington Church NYC
- Buidling the Democratic Economy, from Preston to Cleveland
- Friday, June 22 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, June 23 - 2:00pm
- Sunday, June 24 - 10:30am
- Friday, June 29 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, June 30 - 2:00pm
- Sunday, July 1 - 10:30am
- Is A Public Bank In The Financial Capital Of The World Possible?
- Friday, June 15 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, June 16 - 2:00pm
- Sunday, June 17 - 10:30am
- Outsider Power Shifts Insider Politis: Working Families Party' Maurice Mitchell
- Friday, June 8 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, June 9 - 2:00pm
- Sunday, June 10 - 10:30am
- Should Activists Run for Congress? - Pramila Jayapal and Dominique Stevenson
- Friday, June 1 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, June 2 - 2:00pm
- Sunday, June 3 - 10:30am
- Making Data Shift Power: Bex Hong Hurwitz and Rashida Richardson
- Friday, May 25 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, May 26 - 2:00pm
- Sunday, May 27 - 10:30am