This edition: Episodio #22: Oscar Montero, CUNY in the Heights, Luis Argueta, el Festival Cultural Latino y Jean FrancoTweet
Original tape date: July 1, 2007.
(In Spanish with English subtitles)
En este episodio empezamos en el Parque Central con Oscar Montero, que nos habla de los años de José Martí en esta ciudad. Iremos después a conocer el nuevo laboratorio de computo del programa CUNY in the Heights en el Alto Manhattan. Patricio Lerzundi va al Alto Manhattan a conocer a Luis Argueta, cineasta guatemalteco quien hace un preciso análisis del cine en la construcción de la identidad de una nación. De ahí estaremos en el Parque de Flushing Medows Corona en Queens, para hablar sobre el Festival Cultural Latino que se celebra cada verano en Queens Theatre in the Park. Y para finalizar llegamos a Brooklyn a donde Carmen Boullosa, quien recibe en su casa a Jean Franco, académica y crítica literaria inglesa que ha pasado gran parte de su vida escribiendo y viviendo en América Latina.
Today, we begin in Central Park with Oscar Montero who talks to us about the years José Martí lived in this city. Then we will go to visit the new computer lab that was recently opened at CUNY in the Heights. Then, Patricio Lerzundi takes us to Upper Manhattan to meet Luis Argueta, a Guatemalan filmmaker who analyzes the role of film in the construction of a nation's identity. From there, we go to Flushing Medows Corona Park in Queens to learn about the Latin Cultural Festival which is held every summer in Queens Theatre in the Park. And, finally, we go to Brooklyn to the home of Carmen Boullosa, who welcomes Jean Franco, an English scholar and erudite who has spent a great deal of her life writing and living in Latin America.
Músico. República Dominicana.
Grupo de danza contemporánea, Chile.
Grupo musical, Chile.
Rhythm of the Arts
Grupo de danza folklórica de México
Canta-Autora, Puerto Rico
Luis Argueta Professor/Filmmaker, City College/CUNY
Carmen Boullosa Distinguished Lecturer, City College/CUNY
Adriano Espaillat NY State Assemblyman (72nd AD, Manhattan)
Dolores Fernandez Int. President, Hostos Community College/CUNY
Jean Franco Writer
Prof. Patricio Lerzundi Chair of the Journalism, Communication, and Theatre Department (JCT) at Lehman College
Oscar Montero Professor, Latin American Literature, Lehman College/Graduate Center/CUNY
Claudia Norman Artistic Director, Queens Theater in the Park/Latin Cultural Festival
- I am a dreamer
- Saturday, December 15 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, December 16 - 6:30am
- Thursday, December 20 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, December 22 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, December 23 - 6:30am
- Thursday, December 27 - 10:00am, 4:00pm, 8:30pm
- Saturday, December 29 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, December 30 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 3 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 5 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 6 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 10 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 12 - 2:30pm
- I am a dreamer
- Thursday, December 13 - 8:30pm
- LAMC: Mala Rodriguez, Anita Tijoux, Niña Dioz
- Thursday, November 15 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, November 17 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, November 18 - 6:30am
- Thursday, November 22 - 10:00am, 4:00pm, 8:30pm
- Saturday, November 24 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, November 25 - 6:30am
- Thursday, November 29 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, December 1 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, December 2 - 6:30am
- Thursday, December 6 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, December 8 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, December 9 - 6:30am
- Thursday, December 13 - 10:00am, 4:00pm