This edition: Episodio #27: Hip-Hop artist La Mala Rodriguez, the Afro-Dominican Festival Quijombo from the Bronx, Estampas Porteñas from Buenos Aires,Tweet
Original tape date: February 7, 2008.
(In Spanish with English subtitles)
Este episodio esta dedicado a la música y el baile en diferentes géneros y exponentes de Iberoamerica.
En éste episodio comenzamos con la tradicional música de marimba, en un viaje que nos llevará desde Chiapas, en el sur de México, al barrio neoyorkino de Queens.
Después vamos a las calles de Manhattan, a conversar con La Mala Rodríguez, hip hopera andaluza quien se presentó en SOBs durante la octava conferencia de música latinoamericana.
En Manhattan, vamos al barrio de Chelsea, a la Octava Avenida, a uno de los principales escenarios de danza, al Joyce Theater en donde el grupo Estampas Porteñas presento su show de tango.
Y finalmente nos vamos a El Bronx, a Hostos Community College, a celebrar al herencia africana en la cultura dominicana, en el primer festival del Quijombo, organizado entre CUNY y Alianza Dominicana.
February's episode is dedicated to music and dance and its different Latin American expressions. We begin with traditional marimba music.
We'll start in Chiapas, in southern Mexico and come to Queens, New York. Then, to the streets of Manhattan, where we talk to Mala Rodríguez, Andalusian rapper who sang at SOB's during the 8th Latin American Music Conference.
Staying in Manhattan, we'll go to Chelsea to one of dance's great stages, the Joyce Theater, where Estampas Porteñas brought their tango show.
And, finally, we go to the Bronx, to celebrate African roots in Dominican culture, in the First ¡Quijombo! Festival.
Carmen Boullosa Distinguished Lecturer, City College/CUNY
Iván Dominguez Director, Grupo Folklórico, Alianza Dominicana
Prof. Patricio Lerzundi Chair of the Journalism, Communication, and Theatre Department (JCT) at Lehman College
Mariela Maldonado Bailarina
Marcelo Martinez Marzariegos Músico de marimba
Nestor Montilla Relaciones Públicas, Hostos Community College/CUNY
Andrea Pryor Músico de marimba
Mala Rodriguez Rapera
Carolina Soler Fundadora, Estampas Porteñas
Angelina Tallai Investigadora, Etnomusicóloga/CUNY
- I am a dreamer, 2
- Thursday, January 17 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, January 19 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 20 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 24 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 26 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 27 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 31 - 10:00am, 4:00pm, 8:30pm
- Saturday, February 2 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, February 3 - 6:30am
- Thursday, February 7 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, February 9 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, February 10 - 6:30am
- Thursday, February 14 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Season 14/Episode #6
- Thursday, February 14 - 8:30pm
- I am a dreamer
- Thursday, December 20 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, December 22 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, December 23 - 6:30am
- Thursday, December 27 - 10:00am, 4:00pm, 8:30pm
- Saturday, December 29 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, December 30 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 3 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 5 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 6 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 10 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 12 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 13 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 17 - 10:00am, 4:00pm