This edition: Episodio #57: Orishas, Bill Santiago, Juan Carlos Pinto
Original tape date: October 1, 2009.
En este episodio iniciamos en SOB's, en el bajo Manhattan, con la banda Orishas. Ganadora del Grammy Latino, esta agrupación cubana de hip-hop ha plasmado en su propuesta artística su herencia musical y cultural, manteniéndose fiel a su perspectiva de denuncia y lucha social.
Después vamos a la acogedora libreria McNally Jackson Books en Soho. Carmen Boullosa entrevista a Bill Santiago con motivo del lanzamiento de su libro Pardon my Spanglish. Este nuevayorquino, descendiente de puertorriqueños, habla de las virtudes del “spanglish” al que defiende como una nueva lengua.
Y finalmente visitamos en Brooklyn al artista guatemalteco Juan Carlos Pinto. A través de sus proyectos de arte comunitario, este pintor, muralista y activista político de origen maya-chorti, busca promover los derechos de los latinos indocumentados en los Estados Unidos.
This episode begins at SOB's in downtown Manhattan, with Latin Grammy winners Orishas, a Cuban hip-hop band whose work expresses their musical and cultural heritage, while always remaining faithful to their political views of protest and social struggle.
Then we go to the cozy McNally-Jackson Books in Soho, where Carmen Boullosa interviews Bill Santiago, during the launching of his book "Pardon My Spanglish". This New Yorker of Puerto Rican descent speaks of the virtues of Spanglish, which he defends as a new language.
And, finally we go to Brooklyn to visit Guatemalan artist Juan Carlos Pinto. Through his community-based art and other projects this painter, muralist and political activist of Maya-Chorti origin seeks, among other things, to promote the rights of undocumented Latinos in the U.S.
Carmen Boullosa Distinguished Lecturer, City College/CUNY
Prof. Patricio Lerzundi Chair of the Journalism, Communication, and Theatre Department (JCT) at Lehman College
Juan Carlos Pinto Pintor y activista politico
Bill Santiago Comediante - Escritor
Yotuel Cantante, Orishas
- I am a dreamer, 2
- Thursday, January 24 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 26 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 27 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 31 - 10:00am, 4:00pm, 8:30pm
- Saturday, February 2 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, February 3 - 6:30am
- Thursday, February 7 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, February 9 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, February 10 - 6:30am
- Thursday, February 14 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Season 14/Episode #6
- Thursday, February 14 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, February 16 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, February 17 - 6:30am
- I am a dreamer, 2
- Thursday, January 17 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, January 19 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 20 - 6:30am
- I am a dreamer
- Sunday, December 23 - 6:30am
- Thursday, December 27 - 10:00am, 4:00pm, 8:30pm
- Saturday, December 29 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, December 30 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 3 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 5 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 6 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 10 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 12 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 13 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 17 - 10:00am, 4:00pm