This edition: Episodio #65: Mariachi Real de México, Natalia Almada, Mario TapiaTweet
Original tape date: February 18, 2010.
(In Spanish with English subtitles)
Hoy comenzamos nuestro episodio a ritmo de ranchera, de la mano de la agrupación “Mariachi Real de México”. Con ellos y su “Mariachi móvil”, recorremos la ciudad desde Queens hasta la catedral de San Patricio en el centro de Manhattan y conocemos su trabajo en la Academia Mariachi de Nueva York.
A continuación, en el Lincoln Center, conversamos con la directora mexicano-americana Natalia Almada sobre su documental “El General”, película en la que explora la relación entre la memoria personal y colectiva de México a través de las grabaciones realizadas por su abuela, hija del controvertido general Plutarco Elías Calles. Este documental recibió el premio a Mejor Dirección en el Festival de Cine de Sundace.
Y finalizamos en el Centro Latino de Adultos Mayores, en el bajo Manhattan, donde Patricio Lerzundi se encuentra con el chileno Mario Tapia, su fundador y presidente, quien nos habla de su trabajo de más de diez años en esta institución, apoyando a los Latinos de la tercera edad tanto en los Estados Unidos y como a nivel internacional.
Today, we begin our journey to the rhythm of “Ranchera” with the group Mariachi Real de México and their "Mariachi Mobile." With them, we will visit the city from Queens to Saint Patrick's Cathedral in the heart of Manhattan. This will give us a deeper insight into the work they do at their music school, the Mariachi Academy of New York
Next, we will talk at Lincoln Center with Mexican director Natalia Almada about her documentary The General, a film in which Natalia explores the connection between the personal and collective memories of Mexico through the recordings made by her grandmother, the daughter of controversial General Plutarco Elías Calles. This documentary received the Directing Award at the Sundance Film Festival.
Finally, we visit the Latino Center on Aging in Lower Manhattan, where Patricio Lerzundi meets its President and founder, Chilean Mario Tapia, who will tell us about the work this institution has been doing for over a decade, supporting Latin senior citizens both in the United States and internationally.
Natalia Almada Filmmaker
Carmen Boullosa Distinguished Lecturer, City College/CUNY
Prof. Patricio Lerzundi Chair of the Journalism, Communication, and Theatre Department (JCT) at Lehman College
Rafael Palomar Mariachi visitante
Ramón Ponce Jr. Director, Mariachi Real de México
Mario Tapia Fundador y Director, Centro Latino de Adultos Mayores
- I am a dreamer, 2
- Saturday, January 19 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 20 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 24 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 26 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 27 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 31 - 10:00am, 4:00pm, 8:30pm
- Saturday, February 2 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, February 3 - 6:30am
- Thursday, February 7 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, February 9 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, February 10 - 6:30am
- Thursday, February 14 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Season 14/Episode #6
- Thursday, February 14 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, February 16 - 2:30pm
- I am a dreamer, 2
- Thursday, January 17 - 8:30pm
- I am a dreamer
- Thursday, December 20 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, December 22 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, December 23 - 6:30am
- Thursday, December 27 - 10:00am, 4:00pm, 8:30pm
- Saturday, December 29 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, December 30 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 3 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 5 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 6 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 10 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 12 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 13 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 17 - 10:00am, 4:00pm