This edition: Episodio #69: Judith Sánchez Ruíz, Héctor Zaraspe, Sergio ReyesTweet
Original tape date: April 22, 2010.
Comenzamos este episodio en el East Village, en el centro creativo Danspace, donde la bailarina y coreógrafa cubana Judith Sánchez Ruíz nos presenta su último trabajo, una pieza que combina coreografía, improvisación y textos autobiográficos. Allí nos habla de sus comienzos en Cuba y sus cerca de diez años en Nueva York, donde es considerada como una de las profesionales de la danza con más proyección del 2010.
A continuación vamos al Upper West Side, donde Patricio Lerzundi tiene ocasión de entrevistar al coreógrafo y director artístico argentino Héctor Zaraspe. Considerado una leyenda viva de la danza, Héctor ha sido maestro de grandes figuras como Rudolf Nureyev y Margot Fonteyn, así como profesor de la prestigiosa escuela de danza Julliard.
Y para finalizar, nos encontramos en Sunnyside, Queens, con el violinista guatemalteco Sergio Reyes, quien ha desarrollado una intensa carrera musical en paralelo con la fotografía. Este joven músico nos relata su reciente confinamiento en un centro de detención de inmigrantes y su lucha por evitar la deportación, incidentes que han marcado tanto su fotografía como su música.
We begin this episode in the East Village, at the Danspace creative center, where Cuban dancer and choreographer Judith Sánchez Ruíz presents her latest work: a piece combining choreography, improvisation and autobiographical text. She will tell us about her beginnings in Cuba and her almost ten years in New York, where she's regarded as one of the most renowned dance professionals of 2010.
Later on, we travel to the Upper West Side, where Patricio Lerzundi interviews Argentine choreographer and artistic director Héctor Zaraspe. Regarded as a living legend of dance, Héctor has been the teacher of great figures like Rudolf Nureyev and Margot Fonteyn, as well as a professor at the prestigious dance school Julliard.
Finally, we go to Sunnyside, Queens. We meet Guatemalan violinist Sergio Reyes, who has developed an intense music career parallel to photography. This young musician tells us about his recent confinement at an immigrant detention center and his fight to avoid being deported. Both incidents have left a mark on his photography as well as his music.
Carmen Boullosa Distinguished Lecturer, City College/CUNY
Prof. Patricio Lerzundi Chair of the Journalism, Communication, and Theatre Department (JCT) at Lehman College
Sergio Reyes Músico/Fotógrafo
Judith Sánchez Ruíz Coreógrafa
Héctor Zaraspe Coreógrafo
- Season 13/Episode #8
- Thursday, January 18 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Women's March first year anniversary
- Thursday, January 18 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, January 20 - 2:30pm
- Thursday, January 25 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 27 - 2:30pm
- Thursday, February 1 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Season 13/Episode #10
- Thursday, February 1 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, February 3 - 2:30pm
- Thursday, February 8 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, February 10 - 2:30pm
- Thursday, February 15 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Season 13/Episode #11
- Thursday, February 15 - 8:30pm
- Season 13/Episode #8
- Thursday, January 4 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, January 6 - 2:30pm
- Thursday, January 11 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 13 - 2:30pm
- Season 13/Episode #7
- Thursday, December 21 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, December 23 - 2:30pm
- Thursday, December 28 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, December 30 - 2:30pm
- Thursday, January 4 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Latin Literature, Volleyball and Fashion are in Nueva York
- Thursday, December 21 - 10:00am, 4:00pm