This edition: Episodio #72: Rebecca Cammisa, Sonia Rivera-Valdés, Enrique Pineda Barnet
Original tape date: June 3, 2010.
Comenzamos en midtown Manhattan, en los estudios de CUNY TV, donde recibimos a Rebecca Camissa, directora del documental “¿Cuál es el camino a casa?”, largometraje nominado a un Oscar como mejor película documental de 2009 y que recoge el testimonio de los menores migrantes que viajan solos y que deciden poner en riesgo sus vidas para alcanzar “El Sueño Americano”.
A continuación, en Brooklyn, Carmen Boullosa entrevista a la escritora cubana y profesora de York College, Sonia Rivera-Valdés. Sus relatos son parte imprescindible de decenas de revistas literarias y en 1997, obtuvo el prestigioso premio literario Casa de las Américas con su libro “Las historias prohibidas de Marta Veneranda”.
Y del arte de la palabra escrita regresamos a la imagen en movimiento con el dramaturgo y director de cine cubano Enrique Pineda Barnet, con motivo del homenaje a su carrera celebrado por el Havana Film Festival de Nueva York. En sus más de cuarenta años como cineasta, Pineda ha dejado títulos como “La Bella de la Alhambra” o “La Anunciación”, su película más reciente.
We begin in Midtown Manhattan in the CUNY TV studios where we meet Rebecca Cammisa, director of the documentary Which Way Home, which was nominated for an Oscar for Best Documentary Film in 2009. The film shows the testimonies of child migrant who travel on their own and put their lives at risk to pursue the American dream.
Later, in Brooklyn, Carmen Boullosa interviews the Cuban writer and professor at York College Sonia Rivera-Valdés. Her short stories are a fundamental part of dozens of literary publications. In 1997 she won the prestigious literary award “Casa de las Américas” with her book The Forbidden Stories of Marta Veneranda.
From the written word, we go back to moving pictures with the Cuban playwright and film director Enrique Pineda Barnet, whose career has been paid tribute to by the Havana Film Festival in New York. During his career of over 40 years he has created films like “La Bella del Alhambra” and “La Anunciación,” his latest film.
Carmen Boullosa Distinguished Lecturer, City College/CUNY
Rebecca Cammisa Documentalista
Prof. Patricio Lerzundi Chair of the Journalism, Communication, and Theatre Department (JCT) at Lehman College
Enrique Pineda Barnet Cineasta
Sonia Rivera-Valdés Escritora
- I am a dreamer, 2
- Thursday, January 24 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 26 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 27 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 31 - 10:00am, 4:00pm, 8:30pm
- Saturday, February 2 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, February 3 - 6:30am
- Thursday, February 7 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, February 9 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, February 10 - 6:30am
- Thursday, February 14 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Season 14/Episode #6
- Thursday, February 14 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, February 16 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, February 17 - 6:30am
- I am a dreamer, 2
- Thursday, January 17 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, January 19 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 20 - 6:30am
- I am a dreamer
- Saturday, December 22 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, December 23 - 6:30am
- Thursday, December 27 - 10:00am, 4:00pm, 8:30pm
- Saturday, December 29 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, December 30 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 3 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 5 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 6 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 10 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 12 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 13 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 17 - 10:00am, 4:00pm