This edition: Episodio #97: Cuba - Leonardo Padura, TV Serrana, Pedro Ruiz.Tweet
Original tape date: August 18, 2011.
Dedicamos este episodio al arte y la cultura de la Cuba contemporánea. Comenzamos en Brooklyn donde Carmen Boullosa se encuentra con el periodista y escritor cubano Leonardo Padura, quien nos habla de la novela policiaca en español, de sus inicios como escritor en Cuba y de su última obra, “El hombre que amaba los perros”, sobre el asesinato de Trotsky.
A continuación vamos a los estudios de CUNY-TV en el corazón de Manhattan donde recibimos al realizador y cineasta cubano Carlos Rodríguez para conocer el “Cuba Media Project”, un proyecto que busca dar a conocer en los Estados Unidos el trabajo de “TV Serrana” , un canal de televisión comunitaria con sede en la sierra maestra,.
Finalizamos en el Upper West Side donde Patricio Lerzundi visita a Pedro Ruiz el primer coreógrafo cubano americano en regresar a la isla a trabajar con el reconocido grupo Danza Contemporánea de Cuba. Ruiz nos habla de su proyecto “Ventanas” y de sus emociones al pisar tierra cubana después de 25 años de ausencia.
Today's episode is dedicated to Cuban contemporary art and culture. We begin in Brooklyn, where Carmen Boullosa will meet Cuban writer and journalist Leonardo Padura, who will talk about crime fiction in Spanish, about his beginnings as a writer in Cuba and about his latest novel, The man who loved dogs, about Trotsky's murder.
Next, we will go to CUNY TV studios, in the heart of Manhattan, where we will be meeting Cuban producer and filmmaker Carlos Rodríguez. We will learn about the Cuba Media Project, a project which aims to promote in the US the work of TV Serrana, a community TV channel based in the Sierra Maestra.
Finally, we will go to the Upper West Side, where Patricio Lerzundi will meet Pedro Ruiz, the first Cuban-American choreographer to return to the island to work with the renowned group Contemporary Cuban Dance. Ruiz will tell us about his project Windows and what he felt when he set foot in Cuban land after 25 years.
Carmen Boullosa Distinguished Lecturer, City College/CUNY
Alex Halkin Americas Media Initiative
Prof. Patricio Lerzundi Chair of the Journalism, Communication, and Theatre Department (JCT) at Lehman College
Leonardo Padura Escritor
Carlos Rodríguez Realizador, TV Serrana
Pedro Ruíz Bailarín-Coreógrafo
- I am a dreamer
- Saturday, December 15 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, December 16 - 6:30am
- Thursday, December 20 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, December 22 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, December 23 - 6:30am
- Thursday, December 27 - 10:00am, 4:00pm, 8:30pm
- Saturday, December 29 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, December 30 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 3 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 5 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 6 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 10 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 12 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 13 - 6:30am
- I am a dreamer
- Thursday, December 13 - 8:30pm
- LAMC: Mala Rodriguez, Anita Tijoux, Niña Dioz
- Thursday, November 15 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, November 17 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, November 18 - 6:30am
- Thursday, November 22 - 10:00am, 4:00pm, 8:30pm
- Saturday, November 24 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, November 25 - 6:30am
- Thursday, November 29 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, December 1 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, December 2 - 6:30am
- Thursday, December 6 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, December 8 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, December 9 - 6:30am
- Thursday, December 13 - 10:00am, 4:00pm