This edition: Episodio #100: Almudena Carracero, Pedro González, Carlos GaviriaTweet
Original tape date: October 6, 2011.
First aired: October 6, 2011.
(In Spanish with English subtitles)
Dedicamos este programa al cine latinoamericano. Comenzamos en Brooklyn, donde conversamos con la cineasta española Almudena Carracedo, directora del documental “Made In LA”, filme ganador de un Premio Emmy, que retrata la lucha de las trabajadoras latinoamericanas por el reconocimiento de sus derechos en el sector de la costura en Los Angeles.
A continuación, abordamos el trabajo del cineasta mexicano Pedro González Rubio y sus dos documentales: “Toro Negro” y “Alamar”, trabajos que exploran diferentes aspectos de la condición humana a través de la historia de un torero y la relación de un padre y un hijo en la Península de Yucatán.
Y finalizamos en La Habana, Cuba y en Nueva York, donde conversamos con Carlos Gaviria y Paola Baldión, director y actriz de “Retratos en un mar de mentiras”, película que tiene como eje central el tema de los desplazados por la violencia en Colombia.
This episode is dedicated to Latin American cinema. We begin in Brooklyn, where we will talk to Spanish filmmaker Almudena Carracedo, director of Made in L.A., a documentary which won an Emmy Award. This film portray Latin American women workers and their fight for rights in the sewing industry in Los Angeles.
Next, we will learn about the work of Mexican filmmaker Pedro González Rubio and the two documentaries he's filmed Black Bull and Alamar. Both films explore the different aspects of human nature through the story of a bullfighter and the relationship between a father and his son in the Yucatán Peninsula.
Finally, we will go to Havana and New York, where we will meet Carlos Gaviria and Paola Baldión, director and actress of the Colombian film Portraits in a Sea of Lies, which focuses on people who have been displaced because of the violence in that country.
Paola Baldión Actriz, Retratos en un mar de mentiras (Film)
Carmen Boullosa Distinguished Lecturer, City College/CUNY
Almudena Carracedo Directora, Made in L.A. (Film)
Carlos Gaviria Director, Retratos en un mar de mentiras (Film)
Prof. Patricio Lerzundi Chair of the Journalism, Communication, and Theatre Department (JCT) at Lehman College
Pedro González Rubio Director, Toro Negro/Alamar (Films)
- I am a dreamer
- Thursday, December 20 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, December 22 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, December 23 - 6:30am
- Thursday, December 27 - 10:00am, 4:00pm, 8:30pm
- Saturday, December 29 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, December 30 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 3 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 5 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 6 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 10 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 12 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 13 - 6:30am
- I am a dreamer
- Thursday, December 13 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, December 15 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, December 16 - 6:30am
- LAMC: Mala Rodriguez, Anita Tijoux, Niña Dioz
- Sunday, November 18 - 6:30am
- Thursday, November 22 - 10:00am, 4:00pm, 8:30pm
- Saturday, November 24 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, November 25 - 6:30am
- Thursday, November 29 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, December 1 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, December 2 - 6:30am
- Thursday, December 6 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, December 8 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, December 9 - 6:30am
- Thursday, December 13 - 10:00am, 4:00pm