This edition: A. O'Farrill, E. León, W. Vega, Model NYSSS Proj.Tweet
Original tape date: February 7, 2013.
First aired: February 7, 2013.
Iniciamos este episodio en Brooklyn con el pianista Arturo O'Farrill, hijo del mítico compositor Chico O'Farrill. Arturo nos da su visión sobre su música y el jazz afro-latino.
A continuación, entrevistamos en el Carnegie Hall a la cantante mexicana Eugenia León. Con ella hablamos de su participación en el festival Celebrate Mexico Now y del homenaje a su gran amiga y mentora Chavela Vargas.
Mas adelante, conversamos con el cineasta William Vega a propósito del estreno de su primera película, La Sirga, durante el festival de Cannes y de su propuesta de un cine hecho desde Cali, Colombia.
Finalmente, en Hunter College asistimos a la reunión del Model New York State Senate Session Project, un programa de liderazgo en políticas publicas y legislación, dirigido a estudiantes hispanos.
Allí, fundadores y alumnos hacen un balance del programa en su decimosexto aniversario.
We begin this episode in Brooklyn with pianist Arturo O'Farrill who is the son of legendary compose Chico O'Farrill. Arturo gives us his vision of music and Afro-Latin Jazz.
Then, we go to Carnegie Hall to interview Mexican singer Eugenia León. We talk to her about her participation in the Celebrate Mexico Now Festival and about the tribute paid to her dear friend and mentor Chavela Vargas.
Later, we speak with filmmaker William Vega, regarding the debut of his first movie La Sirga, during the Cannes Film Festival, and about his proposal for films made in Cali, Colombia.
Finally, at Hunter College, we attended a meeting of the Model New York State Senate Session Project, a leadership program in public politics and legislation aimed at Hispanic students. There, founders and students looked back on the program on its 16th anniversary.
Carmen Boullosa Distinguished Lecturer, City College/CUNY
José Calderon Presidente, Hispanic Federation
Lorraine Cortés-Vázquez Secretary of State of New York
Jay Hershenson Sr. Vice Chancellor, University Relations/CUNY
Eugenia León Cantante
Prof. Patricio Lerzundi Chair of the Journalism, Communication, and Theatre Department (JCT) at Lehman College
Alejandro Madi Alumno, Model New York State Senate Session Project
Prof. Anthony Maniscalco Director, Edward T. Rogowsky Internship Program/CUNY
Arturo O'Farrill Pianista, Compositor y Educador
Roberto Perez Host, “The Perez Notes,” LaGuardia CC/CUNY
Roberto Ramirez Co-Fundador, Model New York State Senate Session Project
Gustavo Rivera NY State Senator-elect, District 33- The Bronx
Peter Rivera Comisionado, New York State Department of Labor
Alexandra Ruíz Alumna, Model New York State Senate Session Project
William Vega Cineasta
- I am a dreamer, 2
- Saturday, January 19 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 20 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 24 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 26 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 27 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 31 - 10:00am, 4:00pm, 8:30pm
- Saturday, February 2 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, February 3 - 6:30am
- Thursday, February 7 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, February 9 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, February 10 - 6:30am
- Thursday, February 14 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Season 14/Episode #6
- Thursday, February 14 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, February 16 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, February 17 - 6:30am
- I am a dreamer, 2
- Thursday, January 17 - 8:30pm
- I am a dreamer
- Thursday, December 20 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, December 22 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, December 23 - 6:30am
- Thursday, December 27 - 10:00am, 4:00pm, 8:30pm
- Saturday, December 29 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, December 30 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 3 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 5 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 6 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 10 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 12 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 13 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 17 - 10:00am, 4:00pm