This edition: Rafi Mercado, Guillermo Chacón, WHIN Music Project, Corto CircuitoTweet
Original tape date: November 20, 2014.
First aired: November 20, 2014.
Iniciamos este episodio en Puerto Rico con Rafi Mercado, un multifacético director quien reflexiona sobre el cine de su país, sobre su carrera como cineasta y su rol como director creativo del mítico club neoyorkino Sound Factory.
Mas adelante, en Manhattan Patricio Lerzundi visita a Guillermo Chacón, Presidente de La Comisión Latina sobre el SIDA. Chacón explica como el estigma, la pobreza y, en ocasiones, el estatus migratorio, crean grandes retos para resolver la crisis del VIH en la comunidad latina.
En Washington Heights, hablamos con miembros de WHIN Music Project, un programa musical basado en los principios de El Sistema de Venezuela, el cual brinda oportunidades a niños y niñas del vecindario para aprender música clásica.
Para finalizar, en el Centro Rey Juan Carlos de NYU, asistimos a la más reciente edición de Corto Circuito. Allí conversamos con las creadoras de este evento que tras diez años de vida se ha consolidado como el único festival de cortometrajes latinos en Nueva York.
We begin this episode in Puerto Rico with Rafi Mercado, a multi-faceted director who reflects on film in his country, about his career as a cinematographer, and his role as creative director of the mythical New York club, Sound Factory.
Later, in Manhattan, Patricio Lerzundi visits Guillermo Chacón, President of the Latino Commission on AIDS. Chacón explains how the stigma, poverty and, sometimes, immigrant status pose great challenges to resolve the crisis of HIV among the Latino population.
In Washington Heights, we'll speak to members of WHIN Music Project, a musical program based on the principles of El Sistema from Venezuela, which offers opportunities to neighborhood boys and girls to learn classical music.
Finally, at the King Juan Carlos I of Spain Center in NYU, we attend the latest edition of Corto Circuito. There, we speak with the creators of this event, which after 10 years, has consolidated itself as the only Latino short film festival in New York.
Guillermo Chacón Director, Latino Comission on AIDS
Fran De la Fuente Director de "Inmentis"
Carla Escalante Estudiante, WHIN Music Project
David Gracia Fundador y Director Ejecutivo, WHIN Music Project
Maya Grate-Ueno Estudiante, WHIN Music Project
Prof. Patricio Lerzundi Professor, Lehman College/CUNY
Rafi Mercado Director, Diseñador de Producción y Director Creativo de Espectáculos de Música Underground
Marcelo Navarro Director de "Puyuhuapi"
Carlos Peralta Productor de "Anonimata"
Andrea Profili Directora de Orquestas, WHIN Music Project
Rosalia Ramirez Estudiante, WHIN Music Project
Glenda Rodriguez Madre de estudiante, WHIN Music Project
Onyx Rodriguez Estudiante, WHIN Music Project
Justine Ruiz Estudiante, WHIN Music Project
Catalina Santamaría Directora de "Umbrella House"
Solei Trinidad Estudiante, WHIN Music Project
Laura Turégano Codirectora, Corto Circuito
Diana Vargas Codirectora, Corto Circuito
- Season 13/Episode #8
- Thursday, January 18 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Women's March first year anniversary
- Thursday, January 18 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, January 20 - 2:30pm
- Thursday, January 25 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 27 - 2:30pm
- Thursday, February 1 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Season 13/Episode #10
- Thursday, February 1 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, February 3 - 2:30pm
- Thursday, February 8 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, February 10 - 2:30pm
- Thursday, February 15 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Season 13/Episode #11
- Thursday, February 15 - 8:30pm
- Season 13/Episode #8
- Thursday, January 4 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, January 6 - 2:30pm
- Thursday, January 11 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 13 - 2:30pm
- Season 13/Episode #7
- Thursday, December 21 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, December 23 - 2:30pm
- Thursday, December 28 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, December 30 - 2:30pm
- Thursday, January 4 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Latin Literature, Volleyball and Fashion are in Nueva York
- Thursday, December 21 - 10:00am, 4:00pm