This edition: Laura Gómez, David Maldonado, Kati Horna and Carolina Contreras (Miss Rizos).Tweet
Original tape date: December 21, 2016.
First aired: November 24, 2016.
We kick things off in Central Park with Laura Gómez, an actor and director from the Dominican Republic. She tells us the fascinating story of her career as an artist since she immigrated here 18 years ago. She's become renowned for her role as Blanca in the series Orange is the New Black.
Then we'll shift to Lower Manhattan to join Patricio Lerzundi for an interview with David Maldonado, a musical playwright and producer. His work has served to keep salsa and the memory of salsa idols alive for generations to come, with shows such as his latest production, I Like It Like That.
Later, we'll visit the Americas Society to see an exhibition by anarchist photographer Kati Horna. She was born in Hungary and her work spans a wide spectrum from photojournalism to surrealism. She worked as a photographer during the Spanish Civil War and then was exiled to Mexico, where she lived for 60 years.
We'll wrap things up in Midtown with Carolina Contreras, who tell us about her experience as an Afro-Dominican. She leveraged her talents in hair styling to create a platform for conversations about pride in race and identity. Her project, Miss Rizos, has gained broad international recognition.
Iniciamos este episodio en Central Park, entrevistando a la actriz y directora dominicana Laura Gomez, quien nos habla de su trayectoria artística; desde que inmigró a los 18 años de República Dominicana hasta hoy, en que su papel de Blanca en la serie Orange is the New Black, ha adquirido gran popularidad.
Luego nos transladamos al bajo Manhattan, donde Patricio Lerzundi entrevista al escritor y productor de musicales David Maldonado, quien ha sido un figura esencial en mantener la salsa y sus ídolos en la memoria de las generaciones futuras. Esta misión la ratifica con el nuevo musical I Like It Like That.
Mas Adelante, vamos a la Americas Society para ver la exposición de la fotógrafa anarquista Kati Horna. Con un estilo que va desde el fotorreportaje al surrealismo, esta fotógrafa nacida Hungría, documentó la Guerra Civil española y terminó elixiada en México, donde vivió 60 años.
Y cerramos este episodio en midtown, donde Carolina Contreras nos cuenta acerca de su experiencia e historia como afro-dominicana, que le ha permitido abrir un espacio donde conversaciones sobre identidad, raza y resistencia se dan gracias al simple acto de estilizar el cabello.Su proyecto MissRizos ha logrado amplio reconocimiento internacional.
Carolina Contreras Founder, MissRizos.com
Laura Gomez Actor and director
Kati Horna Photographer
David Maldonado Musical playwright and producer
- I am a dreamer
- Thursday, December 20 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, December 22 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, December 23 - 6:30am
- Thursday, December 27 - 10:00am, 4:00pm, 8:30pm
- Saturday, December 29 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, December 30 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 3 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 5 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 6 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 10 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 12 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 13 - 6:30am
- I am a dreamer
- Thursday, December 13 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, December 15 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, December 16 - 6:30am
- LAMC: Mala Rodriguez, Anita Tijoux, Niña Dioz
- Saturday, November 17 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, November 18 - 6:30am
- Thursday, November 22 - 10:00am, 4:00pm, 8:30pm
- Saturday, November 24 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, November 25 - 6:30am
- Thursday, November 29 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, December 1 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, December 2 - 6:30am
- Thursday, December 6 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, December 8 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, December 9 - 6:30am
- Thursday, December 13 - 10:00am, 4:00pm