This edition: Gemma Gené, De Novo, Lorraine Cortés-Vázquez and Judith Escalona.Tweet
Original tape date: January 22, 2018.
First aired: February 1, 2018.
We start this episode in Bushwick –Brooklyn- visiting the studio of artist Gemma Gené to learn how she began her career, the importance of social media among the new generation of artists, her comic "157 Of Gemma", as well as her paintings and sculptures.
Later, we go to The New York Theatre Workshop facilities in the East Village to speak with the actors and the director of "De Novo," a documentary theater production based on transcripts of immigration documents that demonstrates how a deportation order can put many lives at risk.
Afterwards, in City Hall, Patricio Lerzundi interviews Lorraine Cortés-Vázquez, the first Latina to become Secretary of State. Lorraine speaks about the importance of Hispanics in the history of this country, the pathways in public education, and her hopes for a better future for Puerto Rico, the land of her ancestors.
We conclude in Bryant Park, with Judith Escalona, who talks about "Bx3M," her first feature film as a director and producer, and what it means to be Nuyorican filmmaker in these times of redefining independent filmmaking.
Empezamos en Brooklyn, donde visitamos el estudio de la artista Gemma Gené en Bushwick para hablar sobre cómo empezó su carrera, la importancia de las redes sociales en la nueva generación de artistas, su cómic “157 of Gemma”, así como de sus pinturas y esculturas.
Luego visitamos las instalaciones del New York Theater Workshop, en el East Village, para hablar con los actores y la directora de De Novo, una obra de teatro documental basada en transcripciones de documentos de inmigración que demuestra como una orden de deportación puede poner muchas vidas en riesgo."
Después, en City Hall, Patricio Lerzundi entrevista a Lorraine Cortes-Vazquez, la primera mujer latina en llegar a ser Secretaria de Estado. Lorraine habla de la importancia de los hispanos en la historia de este país, los caminos de la educación pública y de sus esperanzas en un mejor futuro para Puerto Rico, tierra de sus ancestros.
Y terminamos en Bryant Park, donde entrevistamos a Judith Escalona, quien nos habla de BX3M, su primer largometraje como directora y productora y de lo que significa ser una cineasta Nuyorican en estos tiempos de redefinición del cine independiente.
Lorraine Cortés-Vázquez Secretary of State of New York
Judith R. Escalona Filmmaker
Gemma Gené Artist
Zuleyma Guevera Actress, “De Novo”
Manny Urena Actor, “De Novo”
Emily Joy Weiner Director and Actress, “De Novo”
- I am a dreamer, 2
- Thursday, January 24 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 26 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 27 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 31 - 10:00am, 4:00pm, 8:30pm
- Saturday, February 2 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, February 3 - 6:30am
- Thursday, February 7 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, February 9 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, February 10 - 6:30am
- Thursday, February 14 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Season 14/Episode #6
- Thursday, February 14 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, February 16 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, February 17 - 6:30am
- I am a dreamer, 2
- Thursday, January 17 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, January 19 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 20 - 6:30am
- I am a dreamer
- Sunday, December 23 - 6:30am
- Thursday, December 27 - 10:00am, 4:00pm, 8:30pm
- Saturday, December 29 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, December 30 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 3 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 5 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 6 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 10 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 12 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 13 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 17 - 10:00am, 4:00pm