This edition: Manuel Chaco Garcia, Banda Rimel, Vanessa ValerioTweet
Original tape date: September 12, 2017.
First aired: October 11, 2018.
In Brooklyn, Carmen Boullosa interviews musicologist and producer Manuel García Orozco from Chaco World Music. His record label's goal is to introduce the world to the music of great traditional folk musicians and preserve the sounds of particular ethnic cultures. Their recent projects include "El Orisha de la Rosa," which received a Grammy, and Spanglish Fly's "Ay, Qué Boogaloo!"
Later, in Bryant Park, we talk to Rímel, a band that specializes in Mexican norteño music made up of women. The Rímel sisters write and play music from their feminine perspective in a genre traditionally dominated by men.
We'll wrap up in Midtown with Dominican Vanessa Valerio, creator of "Singleling," a comedy podcast created from her own perspective in trying to find love in New York.
Iniciamos este episodio en Brooklyn, donde Carmen Boullosa entrevista al musicólogo y productor Manuel García Orozco de Chaco World Music. El objetivo de ese sello es presentar al mundo la música de grandes exponentes de folklor tradicional y preservar los sonidos de culturas étnicas particulares. Proyectos recientes incluyen "El Orisha de la Rosa", con la cual lograron un Grammy, y Spanglish Fly, "Ay que Boogaloo".
Luego, en Bryant Park, hablamos con el Grupo Rimel, la banda especializada en música norteña mexicana integrada solo por mujeres. Las hermanas Rimel componen e interpretan la música desde su perspectiva femenina en un género que tradicionalmente ha sido dominado por los hombres.
Y, para finalizar, nos encontramos en Midtown con la dominicana Vanessa Valerio, creadora de "Singleling", un podcast de comedia nacido de su personal perspectiva tratando de encontrar el amor en Nueva York.
Manuel "Chaco" Garcia Music Producer, Chaco World Music
Grupo Rimel Composer / Band Leaders, Rimel Music
Vanessa Valerio Creator Comedy Podcast, Singleling
- I am a dreamer, 2
- Saturday, January 19 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 20 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 24 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 26 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 27 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 31 - 10:00am, 4:00pm, 8:30pm
- Saturday, February 2 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, February 3 - 6:30am
- Thursday, February 7 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, February 9 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, February 10 - 6:30am
- Thursday, February 14 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Season 14/Episode #6
- Thursday, February 14 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, February 16 - 2:30pm
- I am a dreamer, 2
- Thursday, January 17 - 8:30pm
- I am a dreamer
- Thursday, December 20 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, December 22 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, December 23 - 6:30am
- Thursday, December 27 - 10:00am, 4:00pm, 8:30pm
- Saturday, December 29 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, December 30 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 3 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 5 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 6 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 10 - 10:00am, 4:00pm
- Saturday, January 12 - 2:30pm
- Sunday, January 13 - 6:30am
- Thursday, January 17 - 10:00am, 4:00pm