Latest edition: Trump's Trade Truce TurmoilTweet
Original tape date: December 6, 2018.
First aired: December 7, 2018.
On this week's edition of "The New York Times Closeup" with Sam Roberts. Another bizarre week for NYC Mayor Bill deBlasio. He fires his top emergency commissioner, who then refuses to leave unless he's fired personally by the Mayor. Not so easy to do reports the Times, since Mr. deBlasio only shows up at City Hall about 10 days a month. Do we have an absentee Mayor? And the stock market soars after President Trump touts a trade war truce with China. But then he tweets that unless he gets his demands "I am a tariff man." The stock and bond markets plunge. What are the risks and implications of a shoot-from-the-hip approach to trade and foreign policy? Plus, the New York Times chief television critic has his picks for the Top Ten TV shows of 2018.
Clyde Haberman Contributing Writer, The New York Times
Jeffery C. Mays Metro Politics Reporter, The New York Times
William Neuman City Hall Bureau Reporter, The New York Times
James Poniewozik Chief Television Critic, The New York Times
Eleanor Randolph Contributing Writer, The New York Times
- Friday, December 14 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, December 15 - 1:30pm
- Sunday, December 16 - 12:30pm
- Trump's Trade Truce Turmoil
- Friday, December 7 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, December 8 - 1:30pm
- Sunday, December 9 - 12:30pm
- How's deBlasio doing?
- Friday, November 30 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, December 1 - 1:30pm
- Sunday, December 2 - 12:30pm
- Amazon Comes to NY
- Friday, November 16 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, November 17 - 1:30pm
- Sunday, November 18 - 12:30pm
- Midterm Wrap-up
- Saturday, November 10 - 1:30pm
- Sunday, November 11 - 12:30pm