This edition: Safer StreetsTweet
Original tape date: October 15, 2018.
First aired: November 26, 2018.
In 2013, after numerous complaints that the New York City Police Department was not taking city traffic accidents seriously, then Police Commissioner Ray Kelly pledged to overhaul the Accident Investigation Squad. He promised to increase the number of officers in the unit and expand the types of crashes they investigated. He even changed the name to Collision Investigation Squad.
But according to a recent New York Times article, little has changed in five years. The squad has fewer investigators and investigates fewer crashes than it did in 2013. All while Mayor DeBlasio insists he is very much committed to his Vision Zero Action Plan, which is intended to decrease traffic deaths and injuries on NYC streets.
Our guests today are Marco Conner, legislative and legal director at Transportation Alternatives, a non profit that strives to change the city’s transportation priorities, and Karen Manrique, a member of Families for Safe Streets, who lost her nine year-old year old son to a reckless driver in April.
Marco Conner Legislative & Legal Director, Transportation Alternatives
Karen Manrique Member, Families for Safe Streets
- Ken Foster
- Saturday, January 19 - 8:00pm
- Monday, January 21 - 2:00pm
- Jeannie Park and Margaret Chin
- Wednesday, January 23 - 11:30pm
- Saturday, January 26 - 8:00pm
- Sunday, January 27 - 9:30am
- Monday, January 28 - 8:00am, 2:00pm
- Saturday, February 2 - 8:00pm
- Monday, February 4 - 8:00am, 2:00pm
- Monday, February 4 - 8:30pm
- Wednesday, February 6 - 11:30pm
- Saturday, February 9 - 8:00pm
- Sunday, February 10 - 9:30am
- Monday, February 11 - 8:00am, 2:00pm
- Saturday, February 16 - 8:00pm
- Ken Foster
- Monday, January 7 - 8:30pm
- Wednesday, January 9 - 11:30pm
- Saturday, January 12 - 8:00pm
- Sunday, January 13 - 9:30am
- Monday, January 14 - 8:00am, 2:00pm
- Ron Howell, Author, Boss of Black Brooklyn
- Monday, December 24 - 8:30pm
- Wednesday, December 26 - 11:30pm
- Saturday, December 29 - 8:00pm
- Sunday, December 30 - 9:30am
- Monday, December 31 - 8:00am, 2:00pm
- Saturday, January 5 - 8:00pm
- Monday, January 7 - 8:00am, 2:00pm
- Autism Awareness
- Saturday, December 22 - 8:00pm
- Monday, December 24 - 8:00am, 2:00pm