This edition: The World of AnimalsTweet
Original tape date: November 14, 2011.
First aired: November 14, 2011.
• Donna Hanover explores how DNA is used to track animals in the wilds of Afghanistan and other places around the globe.
• Marlene Peralta looks at the connection between people and animals and how they help us both mentally and physically.
• Magalie Laguerre-Wilkinson traces the human animal bond through history and why we are so attracted to animal companions.
• Mike Gilliam wonders if parrots really think or are them just reciting what they’ve been told?
• Carol Anne Riddell takes a closer look at the science of dog behavior…many people treat them as members of the family but how much do we really understand them?
Human Animal Bond:
Bill Berloni Animal Consultant and Trainer, Humane Society of NY
Ph.D. Peter Borchelt Animal behaviorist
Vickie Allen Gilliam parrot owner
Julie Hecht Canine Behavioral Researcher
Anne Marie Karish Associate Director, Humane Society of New York
Tiffany Lacey Executive Director, Animal Haven
Dr. Irene Pepperberg Researcher
Ph.D. Pat Shipman Author
Dr. Robin Sturtz Veterinary Technology Program
Peter Zahler Deputy Director for the Asia Program, Wildlife Conservation Society