This edition: Summer Fun with ScienceTweet
Original tape date: August 28, 2012.
First aired: August 28, 2012.
This edition of "Science & U!" looks at how science intersects and interacts with leisure-time fun in the summer months.
Grant Greenberg goes to a math camp, sponsored by the Art of Problem Solving Foundation, where talented NYC 7th-graders go upstate to solve math and puzzle problems.
Carol Anne Riddell reports from City Splash at the Children’s Museum of Manhattan, where water is the main attraction and kids learn about one of our most vital resources from educator Prince Baron.
Mike Gilliam probes the science at the Major League Baseball organization – from the physics of pitches to game data. Donna Hanover talks with the students of Junior HS 157 in Rego Park, Queens about designing an environmentally friendly playground, one that retains rainwater during especially stormy days so the extra water doesn't overwhelm local sewage treatment plants.
Ernabel Demillo observes NASA’s Space Shuttle Enterprise on the aircraft carrier Intrepid, and reports how the Angry Birds video game has moved into space.
Tinabeth Piña goes to the Sterling Hill Mining Museum in Ogdensburg, N.J., to check out fossils, minerals and glow-in-the-dark fluorescent rocks.
And Lisa Beth Kovetz talks to Elliot Zuckerman, founder of Surfer’s Way, which empowers children with special needs to have a fun and safe surfing experience, and to Dr. Thomas Herrington of the Stevens Institute of Technology -- a surfer scientist.
Nelia Arnub Math Camper
Prince Baron Educator, Children's Museum of Manhattan
Alexandra Blancato Mine Museum Fan
Stephanie Campos Parent
Stephanie DeJesus Math Camper
Jadon Edwards Mine Museum Fan
Derek Hernandez Math Camper
Dr. Thomas Herrington Professor, Stevens Institute of Technology
Nerline Hyppolite Math Camp Counselor
Kyreeq Johnson Visiting City Splash
Isiah Joseph Math Camper
Justin Lederer Mine Museum Fan
Kayla Lugo Math Camper
Julia McGann Mine Museum Fan
Ron Mishkin Mining Geologist
Alexa Muller Angry Birds in Space Fan (9-years-old)
Ana Portnoy Math Camp Counselor
Dr. Earl Verbeek Resident Geologist, Sterling Hill Mine Museum
Samantha Wong Aspiring Scientist (15-year-old student)
Daniel Zaharopol Math Camp Pgm. Director
Elliot Zuckerman Founder, Surfers Way
- Science and Alternative Healing
- Wednesday, May 22 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, May 23 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, May 25 - 11:30am
- Sunday, May 26 - 5:30pm
- Science and the Brain
- Wednesday, May 29 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, May 30 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Science & The Arts
- Wednesday, June 5 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, June 6 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, June 8 - 11:30am
- Sunday, June 9 - 5:30pm
- Science & Summer Fun
- Wednesday, June 12 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, June 13 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, June 15 - 11:30am
- Sunday, June 16 - 5:30pm
- Science and Exercise
- Wednesday, May 15 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, May 16 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, May 18 - 11:30am
- Science and Infertility
- Wednesday, May 8 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, May 9 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, May 11 - 11:30am
- Sunday, May 12 - 5:30pm
- March 2017
- Wednesday, May 1 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, May 2 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, May 4 - 11:30am
- Sunday, May 5 - 5:30pm
- Science and Water
- Wednesday, April 24 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, April 25 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, April 27 - 11:30am
- Sunday, April 28 - 5:30pm
- Science and Astronomy
- Saturday, April 20 - 11:30am