This edition: Science and PainTweet
Original tape date: October 5, 2015.
First aired: November 3, 2015.
This month Science & U! deals with pain:
Max Gomez explains how our brain processes pain and what makes the experience different for every individual.
Andrew Falzon gives an overview of pain management including therapy, and also delves into a growing opioid crisis.
Magalie Laguerre-Wilkinson visits the Manhattan Headache Center to see what sort of treatments can help with migraines.
Donna Hanover finds ways to fight pain without using medication, instead turning to meditation and mindfulness.
Carol Anne Riddell explores phantom pain and talks with an amputee who still manages to have feeling in a limb she no longer has.
Lisa Beth Kovetz looks into the legal definition of pain and how advances in brain imagery technology are affecting personal injury cases.
For More Information:
Migraines - www.manhattanheadachecenter.com
Meditation For Pain - www.mindfulnessmeditationnyc.com
Phantom Pain - www.nyharbor.va.gov
Proof of Pain - www.neurolawny.com
Nicholson Billey Knee Pain Patient
Dr. Adam Bisaga Columbia University/NY State Psychiatric Institute
Dr. Patricia Bloom Associate Professor, Mount Sinai Hospital
Dr. Susan Broner Medical Director, Manhattan Headache Center
Samantha Cumley Patient, Manhattan Headache Center
Dr. Houman Danesh Director of Integrative Pain Management, Mount Sinai Hospital
Michael Flomenhaft, Esq. The Flomenhaft Law Firm, PLLC
Kaitlin Fuchs Knee Pain Patient
Lisa Joseph Meditation Participant
Dr. Jason Siefferman Pain Management, VA New York Harbor Healthcare System
Lorelei Stevens Meditation Participant
Kurt Vega Meditation Participant
Pamela Winfield Army Veteran
Dr. Vanna Zachariou Icahn School of Medicine
- August 2017
- Wednesday, September 26 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, September 27 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, September 29 - 11:30am
- Sunday, September 30 - 5:30pm
- Science and Genetics
- Wednesday, October 3 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, October 4 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, October 6 - 11:30am
- Sunday, October 7 - 5:30pm
- Science and Technology
- Wednesday, October 10 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, October 11 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, October 13 - 11:30am
- Sunday, October 14 - 5:30pm
- November 2017: Climate Change
- Wednesday, October 17 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, October 18 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, October 20 - 11:30am
- Sunday, October 21 - 5:30pm
- Science & Animals
- Wednesday, September 19 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, September 20 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, September 22 - 11:30am
- Sunday, September 23 - 5:30pm
- Science and Infertility
- Wednesday, September 12 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, September 13 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, September 15 - 11:30am
- Sunday, September 16 - 5:30pm
- Science and Astronomy
- Wednesday, September 5 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, September 6 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, September 8 - 11:30am
- Sunday, September 9 - 5:30pm