This edition: Best of
Original tape date: August 1, 2015.
First aired: August 26, 2015.
In episode #108 of Science Goes to the Movies, co-hosts Faith Salie and Dr. Heather Berlin take a look back at the season’s highlights.
Astrophysicist Emily Rice on black holes in Interstellar; cryptologist Rosario Gennaro on The Imitation Game and the significance of the work of Alan Turing as well as pattern making in the film adaptation of Stephen Sondheim’s Into the Woods; Neil deGrasse Tyson on Hollywood representations of scientists in The Lazarus Effect, Particle Fever, and the 1954 cult classic Them!; science journalist Ira Flatow on fear as it relates to the Swedish film Force Majeure; Headstrong Project Director of Operations Gerard Ilaria and Iraq war veteran Derek Coy on PTSD through the lens of the Clint Eastwood films American Sniper and Gran Torino; Helen Fisher, a Senior Research Fellow at the Kinsey Institute and Chief Scientific Advisor for Match.com, on the science of sex in Fifty Shades of Grey, Fatal Attraction, and Last Tango in Paris; and neuroscientist Christof Koch on depictions of artificial intelligence in Ex Machina and the 1982 classic Blade Runner.
Written and Produced by Lisa Beth Kovetz.
Science Goes to the Movies is made possible by generous support from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation.
Derek Coy Veteran
Dr. Helen Fisher, PhD Senior Research Fellow, Kinsey Institute
Rosario Gennaro Professor; Director, Center for Algorithms and Interactive Scientific Software (CAISS), City College/CUNY
Christof Koch, PhD. Neuroscientist
Dr. Emily L. Rice, Ph.D. Astrophysicist; Professor, American Museum of Natural History Hayden Planetarium; College of Staten Island/CUNY
Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson Director, Hayden Planetarium, The American Museum of Natural History
- How to Use Bitcoins in your Screenplay
- Thursday, December 20 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, December 22 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, December 23 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, December 25 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- Menopause & the Movies
- Thursday, January 3 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, January 5 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, January 6 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, January 8 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- The Power of Sound- A look at "A Quiet Place"
- Thursday, December 6 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, December 8 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, December 9 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, December 11 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- Genetic Preparations for Space Travel with Dr. Chris Mason
- Thursday, November 15 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, November 17 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, November 18 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, November 20 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- Thursday, November 29 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, December 1 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, December 2 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, December 4 - 7:00am, 1:00pm