This edition: Season 3, Episode 2: Ready Player One - Matthew O'Dowd and Ken PerlinTweet
Original tape date: October 20, 2016.
First aired: December 23, 2016.
In episode #302 of Science Goes to the Movies, astrophysicist and host of PBS’ Space Time, Matt O’Dowd, and NYU computer science professor Ken Perlin, join host Faith Salie to talk about the nature of reality and the possibility of alternate universes. Narnia, The Wizard of Oz, Twelve Monkeys, Groundhog’s Day, and Ready Player One, a Stephen Spielberg project currently in production, provide the basis for a discussion of human access to the multiverse and how wearable technologies are bringing us closer to the advent of “wetwear,” technology that is built into the human body. The guests grapple with Elon Musk’s provocative theory of a reality that is mechanically constructed, then carefully consider the scientific implications of the video game No Man’s Sky.
Prof. Matthew O'Dowd Astrophysicist; Host, “Space Time”
Prof. Ken Perlin Professor of Computer Science/Director, NYU Media Research Lab/Games For Learning Institute
- "Alien," Parasites and How They Changed Humans
- Thursday, January 11 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, January 13 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, January 14 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, January 16 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- "Mean Girls" and Is There Life After High School?
- Thursday, December 28 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, December 30 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, December 31 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, January 2 - 7:00am, 1:00pm