This edition: Season 3, Episode 6: Rosario Gennaro - "Zero Days" / "Mr. Robot"Tweet
Original tape date: September 23, 2016.
First aired: January 20, 2017.
In episode #306 of Science Goes to the Movies, Director of City College’s Center for Algorithms and Interactive Scientific Software, Rosario Gennaro, joins the show to talk about cyber security and hacking as they’re depicted in the hit USA show, Mr. Robot, and Alex Gibney’s Showtime documentary Zero Days. Gennaro offers his take on the rise of hacking around the world and how Mr. Robot contributes to false impressions of computer scientists and hackers while being careful to make sure the hacking in the show is believable to them. “Ethical hacking” is defined and the growing problem of “Ransomware” is discussed, as well as the significance of the release of the virus known as Stuxnet, and how it has already begun to transform warfare in the digital age.
Rosario Gennaro Professor; Director, Center for Algorithms and Interactive Scientific Software (CAISS), City College/CUNY
- How to Use Bitcoins in your Screenplay
- Thursday, December 20 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, December 22 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, December 23 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, December 25 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- Menopause & the Movies
- Thursday, January 3 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, January 5 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, January 6 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, January 8 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- The Power of Sound- A look at "A Quiet Place"
- Thursday, December 6 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, December 8 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, December 9 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, December 11 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- Genetic Preparations for Space Travel with Dr. Chris Mason
- Thursday, November 15 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, November 17 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, November 18 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, November 20 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- Thursday, November 29 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, December 1 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, December 2 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, December 4 - 7:00am, 1:00pm