This edition: Season 3, Episode 6: Rosario Gennaro - "Zero Days" / "Mr. Robot"Tweet
Original tape date: September 23, 2016.
First aired: January 20, 2017.
In episode #306 of Science Goes to the Movies, Director of City College’s Center for Algorithms and Interactive Scientific Software, Rosario Gennaro, joins the show to talk about cyber security and hacking as they’re depicted in the hit USA show, Mr. Robot, and Alex Gibney’s Showtime documentary Zero Days. Gennaro offers his take on the rise of hacking around the world and how Mr. Robot contributes to false impressions of computer scientists and hackers while being careful to make sure the hacking in the show is believable to them. “Ethical hacking” is defined and the growing problem of “Ransomware” is discussed, as well as the significance of the release of the virus known as Stuxnet, and how it has already begun to transform warfare in the digital age.
Rosario Gennaro Professor; Director, Center for Algorithms and Interactive Scientific Software (CAISS), City College/CUNY
- Schrödinger's Love Life & "Full Metal Alchemist" with Sir David Clary
- Thursday, December 14 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, December 16 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, December 17 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, December 19 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- "Mean Girls" and Is There Life After High School?
- Thursday, December 28 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, December 30 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, December 31 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, January 2 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- "Alien," Parasites and How They Changed Humans with Mark Siddall of the American Museum of Natural History's Department of Creepy Crawly Things
- Thursday, January 11 - 8:00pm
- Physics and Biology in "A Wrinkle in Time"
- Thursday, November 30 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, December 2 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, December 3 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, December 5 - 7:00am, 1:05pm
- How Come Everyone in the Movies Can Sing?
- Thursday, November 16 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, November 18 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, November 19 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, November 21 - 7:00am, 1:00pm