This edition: Season 3, Episode 6: Rosario Gennaro - "Zero Days" / "Mr. Robot"Tweet
Original tape date: September 23, 2016.
First aired: January 20, 2017.
In episode #306 of Science Goes to the Movies, Director of City College’s Center for Algorithms and Interactive Scientific Software, Rosario Gennaro, joins the show to talk about cyber security and hacking as they’re depicted in the hit USA show, Mr. Robot, and Alex Gibney’s Showtime documentary Zero Days. Gennaro offers his take on the rise of hacking around the world and how Mr. Robot contributes to false impressions of computer scientists and hackers while being careful to make sure the hacking in the show is believable to them. “Ethical hacking” is defined and the growing problem of “Ransomware” is discussed, as well as the significance of the release of the virus known as Stuxnet, and how it has already begun to transform warfare in the digital age.
Rosario Gennaro Professor; Director, Center for Algorithms and Interactive Scientific Software (CAISS), City College/CUNY
- Real Life in Outer Space - with Astronaut Michael Massimino
- Thursday, October 19 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, October 21 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, October 22 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, October 24 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- Math V. Language - Discussing the Themes of "Arrival"
- Thursday, November 2 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, November 4 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, November 5 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, November 7 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- How Come Everyone in the Movies Can Sing?
- Thursday, November 16 - 8:00pm