This edition: Season 3, Episode 8: Dr. Yasmin Hurd - "Trainspotting"/"Cheech n Chong"Tweet
Original tape date: September 22, 2016.
First aired: February 3, 2017.
In episode #308 of Science Goes to the Movies, the Director of the Center for Addictive Disorders at Mount Sinai, Dr. Yasmin Hurd, joins the show to talk about addiction as its portrayed in films like Danny Boyle’s Trainspotting and T2: Trainspotting, its sequel, as well as in marijuana-themed movies like Pineapple Express and the Cheech & Chong franchise. Hurd elucidates the neurobiological effects of certain drugs and how they work to trick the brain, as well as the way in which certain people may be predisposed to addiction. A breakdown of the scheduling of various substances follows and Hurd assesses the danger of marijuana relative to what is seen in the countless popular films in which it is smoked.
Dr. Yasmin Hurd Director, Center for Addictive Disorders at Mount Sinai
- How to Use Bitcoins in your Screenplay
- Thursday, December 20 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, December 22 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, December 23 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, December 25 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- Menopause & the Movies
- Thursday, January 3 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, January 5 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, January 6 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, January 8 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- The Power of Sound- A look at "A Quiet Place"
- Thursday, December 6 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, December 8 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, December 9 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, December 11 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- Genetic Preparations for Space Travel with Dr. Chris Mason
- Thursday, November 15 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, November 17 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, November 18 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, November 20 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- Thursday, November 29 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, December 1 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, December 2 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, December 4 - 7:00am, 1:00pm