This edition: Season 3, Episode 8: Dr. Yasmin Hurd - "Trainspotting"/"Cheech n Chong"Tweet
Original tape date: September 22, 2016.
First aired: February 3, 2017.
In episode #308 of Science Goes to the Movies, the Director of the Center for Addictive Disorders at Mount Sinai, Dr. Yasmin Hurd, joins the show to talk about addiction as its portrayed in films like Danny Boyle’s Trainspotting and T2: Trainspotting, its sequel, as well as in marijuana-themed movies like Pineapple Express and the Cheech & Chong franchise. Hurd elucidates the neurobiological effects of certain drugs and how they work to trick the brain, as well as the way in which certain people may be predisposed to addiction. A breakdown of the scheduling of various substances follows and Hurd assesses the danger of marijuana relative to what is seen in the countless popular films in which it is smoked.
Dr. Yasmin Hurd Director, Center for Addictive Disorders at Mount Sinai
- Will plants save the planet?
- Thursday, October 18 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, October 20 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, October 21 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, October 23 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- The Importance Of Both Remembering and Forgetting
- Thursday, November 1 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, November 3 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, November 4 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, November 6 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- Genetic Preparations for Space Travel with Dr. Chris Mason
- Thursday, November 15 - 8:00pm
- "Isle of Dogs" with Prof. Alexandra Horowitz
- Thursday, October 4 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, October 6 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, October 7 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, October 9 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- Privacy in the age of Facebook
- Thursday, September 20 - 8:30pm
- Saturday, September 22 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, September 23 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, September 25 - 7:00am, 1:00pm