This edition: Season 3, Episode 8: Dr. Yasmin Hurd - "Trainspotting"/"Cheech n Chong"Tweet
Original tape date: September 22, 2016.
First aired: February 3, 2017.
In episode #308 of Science Goes to the Movies, the Director of the Center for Addictive Disorders at Mount Sinai, Dr. Yasmin Hurd, joins the show to talk about addiction as its portrayed in films like Danny Boyle’s Trainspotting and T2: Trainspotting, its sequel, as well as in marijuana-themed movies like Pineapple Express and the Cheech & Chong franchise. Hurd elucidates the neurobiological effects of certain drugs and how they work to trick the brain, as well as the way in which certain people may be predisposed to addiction. A breakdown of the scheduling of various substances follows and Hurd assesses the danger of marijuana relative to what is seen in the countless popular films in which it is smoked.
Dr. Yasmin Hurd Director, Center for Addictive Disorders at Mount Sinai
- "Annihilation" and Cancer, with Leemor Joshua-Tor
- Thursday, February 21 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, February 23 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, February 24 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, February 26 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- "Metalhead" Baymax and "Robopocalypse"
- Thursday, March 7 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, March 9 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, March 10 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, March 12 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- Rewriting the Transgender Heroine, with Jennifer Finney Boylan
- Thursday, February 7 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, February 9 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, February 10 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, February 12 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- Jack Pearson and "The Fire" with Professor Glenn Corbett
- Thursday, January 17 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, January 19 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, January 20 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, January 22 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- Thursday, January 31 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, February 2 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, February 3 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, February 5 - 7:00am, 1:00pm