This edition: Season 3, Episode 9: "The Accountant" - Dr. Pilar TrellesTweet
Original tape date: October 20, 2016.
First aired: February 10, 2017.
In episode #309 of Science Goes to the Movies, Dr. Pilar Trelles, a child psychiatrist at the Seaver Autism Center at Mount Sinai, joins the show to talk about Autism as it’s depicted in the Ben Affleck film, The Accountant. Trelles tackles the question of whether those on the spectrum can live normal lives and what that might mean, then looks at the inaccuracies of how The Accountant depicts Autism. A history of Autism and its treatments is provided, as well as an explanation of how far those treatments have come. The connection between Autism and genius is considered along with misperceptions of Autism propagated by both pop culture and the medical world itself.
Dr. Pilar Trelles Child Psychiatrist, Seaver Autism Center at Mount Sinai
- Real Life in Outer Space - with Astronaut Michael Massimino
- Thursday, October 19 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, October 21 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, October 22 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, October 24 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- Math V. Language - Discussing the Themes of "Arrival"
- Thursday, November 2 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, November 4 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, November 5 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, November 7 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- How Come Everyone in the Movies Can Sing?
- Thursday, November 16 - 8:00pm