This edition: Season 3, Episode 11: Enron, The Big Short - Alex Gibney, Jeffrey SachsTweet
Original tape date: September 23, 2016.
First aired: February 24, 2017.
Must Margot Robbie strip naked, as she does in The Big Short, for people to pay attention to an explanation of the subprime mortgage mess? Is there a new equivalent of Enron? In episode #311 of Science Goes to the Movies, Academy Award winning documentary filmmaker Alex Gibney and director of the Earth Institute at Columbia University, Jeffrey Sachs, join the show to talk about Wall Street economics as seen in Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room, Equity, and The Big Short. Gibney and Sachs dismantle American economic myths such as “markets are moral” and “greed is good,” and explain the effect of positively portraying people like Jordan Belfort in The Wolf of Wall Street. The immorality and criminality of billionaire hedge fund manager John Paulson is also discussed, as is what Gibney calls “The Bonanza Syndrome” that he says is currently afflicting so many Americans.
- How to Use Bitcoins in your Screenplay
- Thursday, December 20 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, December 22 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, December 23 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, December 25 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- Menopause & the Movies
- Thursday, January 3 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, January 5 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, January 6 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, January 8 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- The Power of Sound- A look at "A Quiet Place"
- Thursday, December 6 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, December 8 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, December 9 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, December 11 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- Genetic Preparations for Space Travel with Dr. Chris Mason
- Thursday, November 15 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, November 17 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, November 18 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, November 20 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- Thursday, November 29 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, December 1 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, December 2 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, December 4 - 7:00am, 1:00pm