This edition: Season 3, Episode 12: Vikings - Anders WinrothTweet
Original tape date: September 23, 2016.
First aired: March 3, 2017.
In episode #312 of Science Goes to the Movies, Yale University Medieval History Professor Anders Winroth joins the show to talk about The History Channel’s Vikings and the accuracy of its portrayal of Viking life. The historical figures on whom characters like Ragnar Lodbrok are based are also discussed, as well as how historians disentangle myth from fact using, in this case, Viking literature and historical objects. Essential questions such as “Why do Vikings have such a bad reputation?” and “How do their descendants, current day Scandinavians, look back on them now?” fill out the rest of this fascinating episode.
Anders Winroth Professor of Medieval History, Yale University
- How Come Everyone in the Movies Can Sing?
- Thursday, November 16 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, November 18 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, November 19 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, November 21 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- Math V. Language - Discussing the Themes of "Arrival"
- Thursday, November 2 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, November 4 - 5:30pm
- Sunday, November 5 - 7:30am
- Tuesday, November 7 - 7:00am, 1:00pm
- Real Life in Outer Space - with Astronaut Michael Massimino
- Tuesday, October 24 - 7:00am, 1:00pm