Latest edition: Howard K. SmithTweet
Original tape date: March 9, 2001.
First aired: December 8, 2002.
In 2001, the late broadcast journalist and commentator for CBS and ABC News Howard K. Smith gave what was to become his final interview. In this poignant episode of Television in America, he begins with his thoughts on the changes in television news today and those who report it. He also proudly flashes back to his time as one of the "Murrow Boys," correspondents from CBS' pioneering World War II news division that continued under Edward R. Murrow. Smith discusses his confrontation with William Paley over commentary on the 1951 report "Who Speaks for Birmingham," as well as his subsequent suspension.
Steven H. Scheuer Host
Morton Silverstein Senior Writer/Producer, Television in America
Howard K. Smith Television Newscaster
- Morley Safer and Richard Hottelet
- Monday, January 14 - 6:00am, 12:00pm, 10:00pm
- Daniel Schorr
- Monday, January 7 - 6:00am, 12:00pm, 10:00pm
- Saturday, January 12 - 4:00pm
- Year-End Edition
- Monday, December 31 - 6:05am, 12:00pm, 10:00pm
- Saturday, January 5 - 4:00pm
- Don Hewitt, Producer "60 Minutes"
- Monday, December 24 - 6:00am, 12:00pm, 10:00pm
- Saturday, December 29 - 4:00pm
- Howard K. Smith
- Saturday, December 22 - 4:00pm