This edition: The Best of Theater Talk: John Raitt, "The Pajama Game," "Carousel"/Ted Chapin & Don Fellows on 50th Anniversary of "South Pacific."Tweet
Original tape date: March 18, 2006.
An interview with Broadway leading man JOHN RAITT, done shorly before he passed away. Raitt, who was initially hired by Rodgers and Hammerstein in 1943 to play Curly in the national road company of their musical OKLAHOMA went on to originate the role of Billy Bigelow in R&H's second Broadway hit, CAROUSEL and to star in the original production of THE PAJAMA GAME; also in the show, Next, a discussion of the R&H classic, SOUTH PACIFIC, on the occasion of its 50th anniversary this year. Actor Don Fellows, a member of the original Broadway cast, and Theodore S. Chapin, the President of The Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization discuss the ground-breaking 1949 show and its impact. The program includes rare kinescopes of performances by the original casts of CAROUSEL and SOUTH PACIFIC on "The Rodgers & Hammerstein General Foods Show," originally broadcast live on March 28, 1954, simultaneously by all three major networks.
- Halloween Gala
- Monday, September 17 - 8:00pm
- Tribute to Edward Albee
- Monday, September 10 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 15 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, September 16 - 7:00am
- Monday, September 17 - 7:30am, 1:30pm
- "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child"
- Monday, September 3 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 8 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, September 9 - 7:00am
- Monday, September 10 - 7:30am, 1:30pm
- "Edward Albee's Three Tall Women"
- Monday, August 27 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 1 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, September 2 - 7:00am
- Monday, September 3 - 7:30am, 1:30pm
- "Frozen" songwriters Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez; The Broadway League president Charlotte St. Martin
- Monday, August 20 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, August 25 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, August 26 - 7:00am
- Monday, August 27 - 7:30am, 1:30pm
- The New Stars of "Hamilton"
- Monday, August 20 - 7:30am, 1:30pm