This edition: Theater historian Robert Kimball and editor Robert Gottlieb on "Reading Lyrics."Tweet
Original tape date: June 22, 2001.
First aired: August 19, 2006.
THEATER TALK welcomes ROBERT GOTTLIEB and ROBERT KIMBALL, creators of READING LYRICS, the newly published anthology and appreciation of modern lyric writing. The two historian/editors discuss the origins and evolution of modern lyric writing, as well as some of this unique art form's great masters, from whose work they assembled their collection of over 1000 of the best American and English lyrics of the twentieth century.
Robert Gottlieb is the editor of Reading Jazz, The Collected Stories of Rudyard Kipling and The Journals of John Cheever. He is the former editor of The New Yorker Magazine
Robert Kimball is the editor of The Complete Lyrics of Cole Porter, The Complete Lyrics of Ira Gershwin and The Complete Lyrics of Lorenz Hart and is editing The Complete Lyrics of Irving Berlin.
- Halloween Gala
- Monday, September 17 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 22 - 8:30pm
- Tribute to Edward Albee
- Monday, September 10 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 15 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, September 16 - 7:00am
- Monday, September 17 - 7:30am, 1:30pm
- "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child"
- Monday, September 3 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 8 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, September 9 - 7:00am
- Monday, September 10 - 7:30am, 1:30pm
- "Edward Albee's Three Tall Women"
- Monday, August 27 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 1 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, September 2 - 7:00am
- Monday, September 3 - 7:30am, 1:30pm
- "Frozen" songwriters Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez; The Broadway League president Charlotte St. Martin
- Saturday, August 25 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, August 26 - 7:00am
- Monday, August 27 - 7:30am, 1:30pm