This edition: "The Private Life of Ethel Merman" with Tony Cointreau and James Russo, archivist of her estate.Tweet
Original tape date: January 27, 2012.
First aired: October 13, 2012.
The close personal friends of the late diva, now archivists of her estate, share stories and keepsakes of the incomparable star. Our guests are her longtime friends, author Tony Cointreau and philanthropist Jim Russo.
The duo recalls fun times they spent with Merman, ranging from dinners at Sardi’s to trips to the flea market. They also share memories of being with her during tragic times, including the aftermath of the heartbreaking untimely death of her daughter, Ethel Jr., the sad breakup of Merman’s marriage, and finally, the battle with brain cancer that killed her in 1984.
Cointreau and Russo also show us some of the mementos and treasures that Merman left them, including her amazing personal notebook, filled with day to day observations about her life and career, as well as her favorite recipes.
- "Evening at the Talk House" with Wallace Shawn, Matthew Broderick, and Scott Elliott
- Saturday, February 25 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, February 26 - 12:30pm
- Monday, February 27 - 7:30am, 1:30pm, 7:30pm
- Actor Chazz Palminteri discusses his one-man Broadway show, A BRONX TALE
- Saturday, March 4 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, March 5 - 12:30pm
- Monday, March 6 - 7:30am, 1:30pm, 7:30pm
- "Kid Victory" with John Kander, Greg Pierce and Karen Ziemba / "Hello, Dolly!" Jerry Herman
- Saturday, March 11 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, March 12 - 12:30pm
- Monday, March 13 - 7:30am, 1:30pm, 7:30pm
- Saturday, March 18 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, March 19 - 12:30pm
- Monday, March 20 - 7:30am, 1:30pm, 7:30pm
- Saturday, March 25 - 8:30pm
- August Wilson's Jitney
- Saturday, February 18 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, February 19 - 12:30pm
- Monday, February 20 - 7:30am, 1:30pm, 7:30pm
- John Breglio, producer/author of "I Wanna Be A Producer"
- Saturday, February 11 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, February 12 - 12:45pm
- Monday, February 13 - 8:00am, 2:00pm, 7:30pm
- Elaine Stritch's 88th Birthday Bash
- Saturday, February 4 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, February 5 - 12:30pm
- Monday, February 6 - 7:30am, 1:30pm, 7:30pm
- David Ives, playwright, "The Liar"
- Saturday, January 28 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, January 29 - 12:30pm
- Monday, January 30 - 7:30am, 1:30pm, 7:30pm