This edition: "Vanya and Sonia" and "FINKS"Tweet
Original tape date: March 29, 2013.
First aired: April 27, 2013.
We focus on two of the best new plays this season. First up, we discuss "Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike," Christopher Durang's modernization of Chekhov. Actors Kristine Nielsen and David Hyde Pierce tell us about the background of the play, as well as the experiences in their careers that led them to star in it on Broadway. Also on the program we talk about "Finks," Gilford’s powerful look at the shameful Blacklisting era in TV and radio. The play was inspired by the true-life experiences of his parents, Jack and Madeline. Both working actors, they were named as Communists in 1955 by close friends, including the legendary Jerome Robbins, at the House Committee on Un-American Activities hearings. As a result, they were blacklisted; not only were they (and hundreds of others in show business) denied employment for almost a decade, but they were subjected to persecution and fear that effected them for the rest of their lives.(taped 3/29/13 & 4/12/13)
William Carden Artistic Director, The Ensemble Studio Theatre
Joe Gilford Playwright, "Finks"
Kristine Nielsen Actor, "Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike"
David Hyde Pierce Actor, "Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike"
- Halloween Gala
- Monday, September 17 - 8:00pm
- Tribute to Edward Albee
- Monday, September 10 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 15 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, September 16 - 7:00am
- Monday, September 17 - 7:30am, 1:30pm
- "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child"
- Monday, September 3 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 8 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, September 9 - 7:00am
- Monday, September 10 - 7:30am, 1:30pm
- "Edward Albee's Three Tall Women"
- Monday, August 27 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, September 1 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, September 2 - 7:00am
- Monday, September 3 - 7:30am, 1:30pm
- "Frozen" songwriters Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez; The Broadway League president Charlotte St. Martin
- Monday, August 20 - 8:00pm
- Saturday, August 25 - 8:30pm
- Sunday, August 26 - 7:00am
- Monday, August 27 - 7:30am, 1:30pm
- The New Stars of "Hamilton"
- Monday, August 20 - 7:30am, 1:30pm